Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental depots in UK during WWI

Moonraker

Local newspapers and regimental histories have quite a bit to say about the hectic mobilisation at regimental depots in the first few weeks of war, but is there much on record about what went on there thereafter?

In the case of the Wiltshire Regiment, its various battalions were either on active service or training somewhere or other, though it dwasn't much in Wiltshire, which did entertain units from most other parts of the country. And as previous posts have noted, it wasn't long into the war before local affiliations to regiments became very diffused. I wonder if some wartime recruits ever saw their regimental depot?

Presumably a regimental depot maintained records for all its members, not only of its peacetime battalions but those raised during the war? It must have been quite a task with battalions spread all over the world. requiring the taking on of many extra clerical workers - were these civilians or servicemen?

I imagine that the depot staff were those too old or infirm for active service (for administration), plus those who had recent experience of active service (for basic training) and perhaps some officers who hadn't measured up to the requirements of the front line.

The only relevant book that comes to mind that touches on the home depot is Robert Graves'Goodbye to All That, a few pages of which refer to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers' base at Wrexham.

Moonraker

I would expect it to be commanded by either an old Lt Colonel brought out of retirement or damaged and returned from the front. The officers would be again recalled to the colours, pending posting to oversees battalions or not fit for active service through wounds or possibly highly decorated and good for moral and recruitment.

The NCOs would be in similar catagories to the officers. I remember one of the KOSB VC winners who as a WO2 had been wounded over 10 times had been highly decorated was posted to the Depot to keep him safe and away from harms way after receiving his VC, he disobeyed the posting went back to his Battalion at the front where he received another wound which was to be fatal. I think his 11th or 12th wound ( short of space on the cuff for wound stripes !)

Rob

post-7376-1139601289.jpg

This is your Depot Establishment as of 1st July 1915. Sorry had to chop it to fit it in, bottom half to follow.

Graham.

post-7376-1139601534.jpg

Will add the Rifle Depot a.s.a.p.

Graham.

post-7376-1139603379.jpg

The Rifle Depot, Winchester - establishment as of 1st July 1915. Bottom half to follow.

Graham.

post-7376-1139603473.jpg

The bottom half of last post.

Graham.

Graham:

Thanks for the pages - very interesting. The presence of 500+ men of the Wiltshire Regiment at its Devizes HQ during WWI is something that I've overlooked in ten years of research, activities there being overshadowed by the hastily-erected training camps elsewhere in Wiltshire.

Moonraker