Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW, look up please.

Stephen White

Would someone with a copy of the above CD Rom be able to do two look ups for me please.

The brothers were residents of the village of Shere, Surrey, which is just outside Guildford. They are Hubert. H. Vincent and his brother James. T. Vincent. I'm particularily interested in their place of enlistment, if it's given of course. Guildford is the obvious place but as I have found out already that's not a guarantee!!

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Have not got my disc with me at the moment, but will look up for you this evening if you haven't got an answer by then

All The Best

Chris

Stephen

SDGW hasJames Vincent Queens (RWS) 7th Bn.

Born: Wonersh

En: Guildford

Res: Shere

KiA 01/07/16

There is no sign of Hubert (not in old version anyway). I have checked for other Vincents born in Wonersh and/or resident in Shere but no result.

Myrtle

Stephen

It looks as if Hubert Vincent enlisted in Bayswater, Western Australia with the 44th Bn AIF. His full name was Hubert Henry James Vincent. There was a baby of the same name born in Shere 1894 and listed in the 1901 census with his family including his brother James Vincent, born in 1897.

Looks as if your doubts of him having enlisted in Guildford are confirmed.

Myrtle

Stephen

It looks as if Hubert Vincent enlisted in Bayswater, Western Australia with the 44th Bn AIF. His full name was Hubert Henry James Vincent. There was a baby of the same name born in Shere 1894 and listed in the 1901 census with his family including his brother James Vincent, born in 1897.

Looks as if your doubts of him having enlisted in Guildford are confirmed.

Myrtle

Myrtle

Thank you for that information. It looks to be my man, I've looked at my copy of the 1901 census that I downloaded yesterday and the Hubert listed as living in Shere appears to be a Hubert H J Vincent. What a long way to go though to enlist though, Western Australia. Looks like this one is going to be an interesting story!!

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen

SDGW hasJames Vincent Queens (RWS) 7th Bn.

Born: Wonersh

En: Guildford

Res: Shere

KiA 01/07/16

Myrtle

Myrtle

I'm looking into this one now, the CWGC has this man as 42 years old. The man I am after is listed as only 4 months old as a James T Vincent on the 1901 census and born in Shere. He'd never have been old enough though unless he lied about his age at some point.

Stephen

Stephen

The James T. Vincent I found was 4 years old in 1901. Maybe there has been a transcription error or maybe the hunt is still on for Hubert's brother.

Myrtle

Stephen

The James T. Vincent I found was 4 years old in 1901. Maybe there has been a transcription error or maybe the hunt is still on for Hubert's brother.

Myrtle

Myrtle

I'm looking now, I've found a James Vincent in 1901 of roughly the right age (b1877) to fit the one you originally gave me. Living in Albury, the village that runs behind Shere. His mother is listed as being born in Wonersh, he isn't though.

As regards James T Vincent, I've just done a search of the 1901 census. The list of possibles list's him as 4 years old. When you click on his name he suddenly becomes 4 months old born in 1897!!. So as you say a transcription error somewhere!!. The war memorial in Shere definitely lists a James T Vincent.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen White

It's definitely a transcription error. The index shows him as 4 years old yet the image clearly shows him as 4 months

post-1356-1139579475.gif

It's definitely a transcription error. The index shows him as 4 years old yet the image clearly shows him as 4 months

Stephen

Thats the image I have as well.

Now to add to the confusion over James Vincent. I've just found another one, a James T Vincent in the 1891 census of exactly the right age (b1874) to be a match for Myrtle's James Vincent, the one who died at 42 on 01/07/1916. He was living in Wonersh as a Lodger, but is down as born in Albury!!

That would make three James Vincents one b1874, one b1877 and one b1900 (Huberts brother). Albury, Shere and Wonersh are all VERY close together. None of the James are down as being born in Wonersh though.

Albury and Wonersh are in different parish's to Shere, but Myrtle did say the James T she found was listed as a resident in Shere at the time of enlistment. So MAYBE the James T Vincent on the memorial isn't Huberts younger brother but an uncle perhaps or a totally un related Vincent, who moved to Shere from Albury/Wonersh after 1901.

My Money for the James T Vincent on the Memorial is the one living in Wonersh is 1891 as a lodger. Which would be the one Myrtle found.

Stephen, the link you gave me was that to the site in general or to a search result, I've clicked on it and it's asking me to log back in.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen White

Stephen, the link you gave me was that to the site in general or to a search result, I've clicked on it and it's asking me to log back in.

Stephen

I did a search of the Australian archives and it yielded a page on your man. You can log in as a guest but you need to register to be able to order anything.

I did a search of the Australian archives and it yielded a page on your man. You can log in as a guest but you need to register to be able to order anything.

Stephen

Thank you for that and for looking in the first place. I'll get on to that shortly, it will be something to keep me busy this evening.

Myrtle,

Thank for your help. I think I/we got there in the end. I am pretty confident that the man you gave me is the one on Shere Memorial.

Stephen