Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/10th Gurkha Rifles at Gallipoli

leanes-trench

Greetings all. Does anybody have access to the WWI history of the 10th Gurkhas, or a copy of the war diary for the 2/10th Gurkhas for August 1915 handy? I am trying to determine how many casualties were suffered by the two companies of the battalion that took part in the assault on Chunuk Bair on the morning of August 7, 1915. I know that the battalion reported losing 3 native officers and 51 OR's that day, but I need to know how many were killed in this particular attack (two companies were employed to the north, with the Left Assaulting Column).

Many thanks for any help anybody might be able to give.

Pat

Pat - not got the 10th, but have the 6th GR history, and no mention of casualties of the 10th there; also no joy in the AIF history. Have you tried the Gurkha Museum at Winchester?

Pat - not got the 10th, but have the 6th GR history, and no mention of casualties of the 10th there; also no joy in the AIF history. Have you tried the Gurkha Museum at Winchester?

I haven't, no. I think I might have to, though, and give up my hopes of instant gratification.

Many thanks,

Pat