Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNVR - What records are available

Chris

Hi

I have recently put some renewed effort into tracing the military records of my family, or at least those members of my family i had failed to find anything on in the past. A phonecall to great aunt and uncle located a handwritten family tree originating from the 1950's and going back to 1660's. A very helpful find, particularly as it has clues as the military service of some family members during WW1.

Now the entry i need help with:

Ernest Cecil Ditcham, born 1890 in Lewisham, married Hilda Short 1917, and according to the info served with the RNVR from 1917 - 1919. The online NA sources seem to me to only have RN men searchable online, so are RNVR records availbale online, or if not where are they held, and if they are at the NA does anyone know the file reference??????

Cheers

CHRIS

Chris,

Sorry I cannot give you precise information but many years ago I worked at Hayes archives and the records for the RNVR in the 1WW were then, so I imagine they would have been transferred to the NA along with all the Naval records covering the same period and pre war.

From recollection the records were very difficult to research so that may explain why they may not be available on line yet.

Dave

Hi

I have recently put some renewed effort into tracing the military records of my family, or at least those members of my family i had failed to find anything on in the past. A phonecall to great aunt and uncle located a handwritten family tree originating from the 1950's and going back to 1660's. A very helpful find, particularly as it has clues as the military service of some family members during WW1.

Now the entry i need help with:

Ernest Cecil Ditcham, born 1890 in Lewisham, married Hilda Short 1917, and according to the info served with the RNVR from 1917 - 1919. The online NA sources seem to me to only have RN men searchable online, so are RNVR records availbale online, or if not where are they held, and if they are at the NA does anyone know the file reference??????

Cheers

CHRIS

Hi Chris,

The enlistment papers for RNVR and indeed RN ratings for this period are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton. If he served in the RND they have additional info.

Regards Duncan

Cheers to both of you, gives me a starting point now. Hopefully some more info on Ernest will follow

Cheers

Chris

Hello

Ive always found papers for sailors at the NA quite easy to research - and I dont do much naval research - certainly found it easier than soldiers with a FAR greater success rate

Good luck

Ian

The Service Records for both RNVR Officers & Ratings are in the

ADM 337 series.

Bryan

Thanks Ian and Bryan for the additional info

Much appreciated

Chris

Chris.

I cheated, and asked a researcher to look for them for Joseph Denton, brother of Barr. He joined the RNVR in 1916. Apparently the letter preceeding the service number is crucial, as it denotes where he enlisted. The researcher came up trumps, and for a very reasonable price too, although there was just a single page of info. I'll try to find out more on Wednesday if you wish.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
The Service Records for both RNVR Officers & Ratings are in the

ADM 337 series.

Bryan

To extend this a bit: RNVR who went to sea are in ADM 337 (microfilm), if they served in the RND then they're in ADM 339 (microfiche). to check whether he was in the RNVR (ratings), the relevent medal roll is ADM 171/126 (microfilm) all at Kew.

RN records are in ADM 188 & they are available online,

Bryan