Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS VENGEANCE & CORNWALLIS

campaign

I have been told that my grandfather served on HMS Cornwallis and Vengenace and saw active service at Gallipoli and Derdenelles but cannot trace the vessels. He also had medals, but no idea which. This is my first attempt at tracing further info and wonder if anyone knows of these vessels or the Commander. There is some confusion about whether he was in the Merchant or Royal Navy also, which isn't helping.

Both HMS Cornwallis and HMS Vengeance were battleships engaged in the Dardanelles campaign.

HMS Cornwallis

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/duncan_class.htm

Took part in opening bombardment of entrance forts 18-19 Feb, firing first shell of bombardment on 18th. Subsequent bombardments of entrance and Narrows forts and initial landings during Feb and early Mar. With Vengeance, Albion and Triumph silenced forts Sedd el Bahr and Kum Kale with secondary armament at close range 25 Feb. Main bombardment of Narrows forts 18 Mar. Supported landings at Morto Bay 25 April. 18-20 Dec 1915 Covered evacuation of Suvla Bay, being last big ship to leave the area.

HMS Vengeance

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_vengeance_1898.htm

18-19 Feb Took part in opening bombardment of entrance forts, sustained damage to spars and rigging from returning gunfire. Subsequent bombardments of entrance and Narrow forts and initial landings during Feb and early Mar. Main attack on Narrows forts 18 Mar. Supported main landings at Helles (Morto Bay area) 25 April. Supported army during Turkish attack on positions at Anzac 19 May. Attacked by submarine 25 May. July 1915 Returned home owing to boiler defects.

Regards

Bob

Try the PRO online search for his Service record in ADM 188 - if he was RN he will be in that series.

I doubt he would be Mercahnt navy if serving on battleships.

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...
I have been told that my grandfather served on HMS Cornwallis and Vengenace and saw active service at Gallipoli and Derdenelles but cannot trace the vessels. He also had medals, but no idea which. This is my first attempt at tracing further info and wonder if anyone knows of these vessels or the Commander. There is some confusion about whether he was in the Merchant or Royal Navy also, which isn't helping.

Hi, amazing! Thank you so much for this info. I keep updating relatives abroad with my research and have to have photos mailed over from Australia and Canada - thank you for your help

Try the PRO online search for his Service record in ADM 188 - if he was RN he will be in that series.

I doubt he would be Mercahnt navy if serving on battleships.

Bryan

Hi - yes I will try that - thank you. His only surviving offspring (now in Australia) will be glad to hear of any more info I can trace - I'm doing the family historian thing and find it hard to jump from Cencus etc to military stuff with no assistance so this is really helpful - thanks again.