Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help please

Guest shazipoos

Guest shazipoos

Hi have found my gt grandfather's medal card but no other doc's for him survive at National Archives have had a look at the how to read a medal card page on this site which helped abit but being a girly get all confused when people start on about regiments corps etc etc. have attached a copy of his medal card if any one can help interpret it i understand the bit about the medals and also that he landed in france in may 1915 but its the regimental bit i dont get would like to be able to find out his movements etc thanks in advance shazipoos xx

post-10800-1139496495.gif

Basically it means he was a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery, going overseas in May 1915. Someone may be able to tell you from his number if it relates to a particularly battery. That would narrow down the division. Later he went into the Labour Corps, which would indicate he was probably no longer fit for combatant duty through a wound or sickness. The Labour Corps number may relate to a particular Labour company; no doubt one of the experts will add to this posting.

A quick bit of research of men in the 92310 to 92319 sequence of RFA found the casualty 95318 Henry Applegate, B Battery 63rd Bde RFA. 63rd Bde RFA were in 12th Division... which went to Western Front in May 1915. This might (I stress might) be your man's unit as well.. 63rd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. You will find the war diary of 63rd Bde RFA at the National Archive.

sorry that should read 95310 to 95319 sequence.

Meant to add...overview of 12th Division on this site..

www.1914-1918.net/12div.htm

I don't know the exact dates for the RFA Brigades but 12th Division went overseas at that point (29th May to 4th June 1915).

These brigades were in the Division:

LXII (62nd) Brigade, RFA

LXIII (63rd) Brigade, RFA

LXIV (64th) Brigade, RFA (left 6 January 1917)

LXV (65th) (H) Brigade, RFA (broken up 30 August 1916)

By no means certain but might be worth a thought.

Steve.

EDIT: Oops, Sorry Cliff. Repeated what you posted to some extent. Got distracted by a conversation on acupuncture for Greyhounds! :blink:

Edited by Stebie9173

The only two Royal Field Artillery Brigades to cross to France on 31st May 1915 were the 62nd and 65th. As mentioned above, these were part of 12th (Eastern) Division. It is therefore like he was in one of these two units.

His later transfer to the Labour Corps means there is a high chance his service record will be in WO363 at the National Archives.

Big thank you to all for your help i am off to the national archives on saturday to research some members in the royal navy so will look up gt grandad in wo363 best regards shazipoos :D