Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transfer from RFA to Infantry (Green Howards)

macfarro

Dear all

I have been tracing a distant relative and have already received help and info from this site, so far my research has found the following:

Charles Henry Hollingworth died Oct 1917 whilst serving with 6th Battalion Yorkshire Regt (service no 41763). I am aware of some of his service with the Yorkshires but a copy of the local newspapers showed that he enlisted and went to France with the RFA (service no 185012) December 25/27 1916 before being transferred to the infantry.

I am trying to identify the RFA brigade he belonged to:

Can I assume that such a transfer would have occured within the same division (11th)?

From units of 11th Division the Long trail site states ''CXXXII Brigade, RFA (joined 26/4/1916 in Egypt as a Howitzer Brigade, broken up 25/1/1917)''

Could 'broken up' imply transfer to the infantry, or would this be just wishfull thinking on my part?

Many thanks

Rob

RFA brigades could change radically during the war - re-numberings were common. The bde. could be broken up, but the btys. (guns and gunners) could have just been transferred to another bde. Howitzer btys. were susceptible to this. Certainly an option. The lack of further info. on L,LT may mitigate against this though.