Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Something that bothers me!

182 CEF

I have found that on this and other sites, threads are started that I have read something about. I make my comments, however I can never find the book or passage that I found the information in. A while ago I posted that Canadians were known for disposing of unwanted Officers during WW1. I have read several accounts of Soldiers mentioning this in letters and diaries. When one of the Pals "called me to task" to show cause, I could not find anything except a mention in "VIMY' by P.B. I have come to relize that I lend out far too many books and forget where they are. Or perhaps the books are in storage ( I have over 1500 books on History, most military from differant periods) If I could use these damn computers in a better way perhaps I could keep records ( I am lucky I can turn it on sometimes).

My last argument concerned what are know as bangalore (?) torpeados. My American friend was telling me that without this great American invention we would not have won WW2. I mentioned that the first was invented by 4 Men in a WW1 Canadian unit. After these 4 men were asked to take a pow from the German lines in 1915, they relized that if the sentry had a cold so did the rest of the company. The problem was that at that point the wire was about 15 feet thick. One remembered seeing pipe lying in a distroyed village. So back they went, found about 40 feet of pipe and filled it with Arty explosive ( or propellant). They slipped it under the wire, fused it and blew a path, took a couple of pows and got the required info. I remember reading that one was a Lord that perfered to serve in the ranks.

After my discussion do you think I could find where I had read it? Not a chance!!

I guess my point is " a little knowledge is dangerous"

But last and not least is this. I have found this site and the Canadian military site to be the most helpful and least nasty of the many forums I deal with. Unlike many other sites I find that here the Pals are considerate when they ask a question or "challange" (?) a comment. On other sites, most Civil War related, people get nasty and personnal. That the Gods that all of you here are above that.

My Many Thanks!!

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario Canada

My last argument concerned what are know as bangalore (?) torpeados. My American friend was telling me that without this great American invention we would not have won WW2. I mentioned that the first was invented by 4 Men in a WW1 Canadian unit.

Dean, don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but think you will find that Bangalore Torpedoes pre-date WW1. The following link will give you a bit more info:

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/bangaloretorpedo.htm

But I agree with the premise of what you say - good soldiers always improvise, and the sort of incident you describe could easily have happened.

Dean,

The Bangalore Torpedo was invented by a Captain McClintock of the Bengal Bombay and Madras Sappers and Miners Company of the Indian Army in 1912 named after the city of Bangalore ( don't know why , maybe that's where he was). It was used in the Boer War. I would think your enterprising Canadians made a torpedo up from bits 'like' a Bangalore Torpedo.

Aye

Malcolm

Idiot me. That should read .. used to remove boobytaps left Over from the Boer War. It obviously wasn't used in the Boer War itself.

Dingbat that I am.

More coffee I think.

Aye

Malcolm

ps. Thanks Lee for pointing out .

Hi Dean

I have read lots of books over the years and like you my brain is full of bits of info. but when needed to put a finger on where such and such bit of info. came from I can never find the dam book.

Annette

I am the same to the point where i have now started writing down important points and referencing them so i can find them later.

I thought it was age creeping up on me, but since the only time i can not remember where it was i read it, is when i need to quote it i am fast believing that the Wife has something to do with it, she recently got me to up the insurance policy with a mental clause in it :blink:

Arm.