Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/8th Bn Durham Light Infantry

PhilN

Phil,

Welcome to the Forum.

Attached are extracts from an unpublished manuscript, which relates the story of the 1/8 Battalion, DLI. When I undertook my researches three or four years ago, I'm afraid there was little or nothing to record about the battalion's activities in March 1916.

The recognised battalion history was written by Major E. Hardinge Veitch, MC TD [8th Battalion The Durham Light Infantry, 1793-1926] and published by J. H. Veitch & Sons Ltd, of Durham City, probably in 1926. It can be hard to find a copy and it's expensive to buy but, depending where you live, I'm sure a large city library will be able to help. Alternatively, if you live near Durham City, a copy is held by the Durham Record Office although you'll need to book an appointment to get access to it.

David T.

First_Line_8th_Battalion__DLI.doc

Phil

I can't tell you exactly but I can give you an idea of the setting.

50 Div, which 8 DLI were part of (151 Brigade) were in the Hill 60 sector.

On 2nd March the 17th and 3rd Divisions recaptured the Bluff, immediately to their left was 151 Brigade who 'let off' everything they had to assist the Bluff attack.

During March the trench warfare on 50 Div's sector was 'strenuous' with a lot of mining activity..

On the night of 7/8 March snow fell to a depth of four inches and during this period the German aeroplanes flew at will over the 50 Div area.

My relative, only a boy, was killed at Hill 60 on 20 March, he was with 5 DLI, who were 150 Brigade, 50 Div.

When I visit his grave at Railway Dugouts Cemetery, the graves around him of the 50 Div soldiers tell the story and the dates of the front line tours of battalions. I seem to remember 8 DLI were hit hard in February.

A colleague of mine has his wife's uncle, who was 8 DLI, buried a few yards from my relative, its a small world.

If you look on SDGW at 8 DLI casualties before 15 March, it will give you an idea if they were very active during this period.

Sean