Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st East Lancs

stu

Can anyone please help me,I'am trying to find out what the 1st East Lancs were doing,and where they were between 1/6/15 to 13/7/15.

I'am particulary interested in anything regarding Captain ACM Allington,o.c. of A company.

I'am very grateful for any help anyone can give me.

Many thanks

Stu

Stu

From 1-7/8 June 15 1 ELanR was operating around the Yser canal. It then pulled back to Vlamertinghe and received a draft of 14 officers and 68 OR. From 11/12 - 16/17 the battalion was forward but in brigade reserve west of the canal. It relieved 1 Hants on 16/17 June and held the line, with casualties due to artillery. A Coy, forward left under Captain Alington suffered in particular, because much of its trench was enfiladed. On 30 June, the battalion pulled back again to Vlamertinghe and rested, receiving 6 sergeants and 111 ORs as reinforcements. On 5 July the batalion was involved in an attack, during which Captain Alington was wounded. I suspect that this is the bit that interests you. Here is an extract from the regimental history pp 48-50.

'During this period orders were issued for the 11th Brigade to attack the German position from the south end of the International Trench to a point some 350 yards to the north. The 1st Rifle Brigade was to assault the position, supported bt the 1st Somerset Light Infantry, which was placed under the orders of the Commanding Officer of the 1st Rifle Brigade. The role of the battalion was to assist with rifle and machine gun fire and the 1st Hants was in reserve.

On the night of the 4th/5th the battalion and 1st Rifle brigade relieved the 1st Hants and 1st Somerset Light Infantry respectively. The battalion was disposed as follows: C Company (2Lt Burnett) held the right sector and A Company (Capt Alington) the left sector. Battalion headquarters were established with D Company (Capt Richards) on the west bank of the canal between bridges 6D and 6X and B Company (Capt Parks) was in reserve on the west bank of the canal.

July 5th passed quietly and casualties only amounted to 9 men wounded. During the night D Compnay dug a communication trench from the canal to the aid post at Hull's Farm. This trench was much used during the next few days, both by orderlies, stretcher-bearers and wounded. At 5am on 6th July the 2nd Group Heavy Artillery, the divisional artillery and the artillery of the 45th French Division opened fire on the enemy's trenches and, with short intervals for observation, continued until 6.00 am.

In addition to this a battery of 18 pdr of 135th Battery RFA at 5.00 am opened fire on the International trench at a range of 70 yards; a hundred rounds were fired in nine minutes, which destroyed the trench and the wire to the west of it. The result was that the attacking companies of 1st Rifle Brigade, preceded by bombers were able to charge straight into the German trenches, whereupon parties of the 1st Somerset Light Infantry moved up to dig communication trenches from the original line to the captured line.

The enemy's artillery had at once replied to the British bombardment at 5.00 am and concentrated on the trenches facing Fortin 17 and all trenches to the rear and both sides of the canal. In spite of this, at 6.00 am A Compnay opened heavy rifle and machine gun fire in support of the attack by the 1st Rifle Brigade. This fire was supplemented by hand grenades thrown by Crporal Tomlinson, who was assisted by Lance Corpral Mc White, who obseved the result through a periscope.

The fire was maintained until 6.30 am, by which time the company had suffered heavy casualties, the greater part of one platoon had been killed or wounded and Captain Alington was severely wounded but remained with his company. Captain Richards was sent up to relieve Captain Alington who refused to leave until about 11.00 am, when the Commanding Officer came up to the line and ordered him back; he had a severe head wound which eventually entailed the loss of an eye. etc etc.'

Is this sufficient?

Jack

Hi Jack,

This is fantastic info,I'am very grateful to you.

Do you know exactly where the Fortin 17 area,is there a map reference for it in your book?

Does your book have a list of awards,I think that Capt Allington may have been decorated or have been MiD for this action,also does your book contain a photo of Capt Allington?

Many thanks for any more help you can give me.

Cheers.

Stu

post-6447-1139645452.jpg

Stu

This is amore general sketch of the area, which shows where the place was in relation to Pilckem, for example. Unfortunately I do not have a trench map of this area, but someone is sure to be able to post what you want - try a new thread. I cannot find any reference to possible awards in the regimental history. To find out more, you need to get in touch with Regimental Headquarters, The Queen's Lancashire Regiment, Fulwood Barracks Preston. They have a very large archive of East Lancashire material there.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Many thanks for posting the map and looking up for an award,I have a letter from Capt Allingtons C.O. where he says he is submitting his name,I was hoping to find out if he received an award.

I will get in touch with the museum to see if they have anything on him.

Best wishes.

Stu