Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please with index card

johnwd

John_Richard_williams_medal_card.docCould anyone answer the following questions re. my grandfather's attached index card

1. From looking at previous postings I can see that Para 392 xv1 means 'discharged as no longer fit for service', however on the card a letter A appears after the xv1. Can anyone tell me what this means?

2. Underneath the xv1A is another reference Wmd?. Any ideas?

3. Under action taken, there is another reference. ??/5250. Again any ideas please?

Regards,

John Downey

The Reference would be to the War Badge in Silver,if you accquire a copy of that Page from the NA{not online} it might help explain his cause of Discharge

The card says he was discharged due to wounds ("wnds" on the card). There should be another card for him for his medals; they are not shown on this one. There is quite a high chance is service record has survived in WO364 (the Un-burnt records).

1. From looking at previous postings I can see that Para 392 xv1 means 'discharged as no longer fit for service', however on the card a letter A appears after the xv1. Can anyone tell me what this means?

2. Underneath the xv1A is another reference Wmd?. Any ideas?

3. Under action taken, there is another reference. ??/5250. Again any ideas please?

1. Para 392 xvi means exactly what you've said, discharged as no longer fit for service, the additional 'a' is a sub clause and means "During a period of war".

2. Wmd should read Wnds (or Wounds), the cause of his discharge. The SWB normally has either Wounds or Sickness as the cause.

3. The reference "List TP/5250" is the Army Medal office reference to your man's entry in the Silver War Badge Roll. This reference can be translated into a WO329/XXXX Roll number at the NA, Kew. I think I'm correct in saying that the only additional information you'll gain from the SWB Roll over these particular MIC details is the Silver War Badge number (which was unique to each soldier).

I don't know if you've found the other card for John Downey but if you haven't the link to it is Here

It shows his initial Territorial number as 2762 prior to the renumbering of the Territorials in 1917.

Hope this helps

Steve

The Reference would be to the War Badge in Silver,if you accquire a copy of that Page from the NA{not online} it might help explain his cause of Discharge

Thank you

John

The card says he was discharged due to wounds ("wnds" on the card). There should be another card for him for his medals; they are not shown on this one. There is quite a high chance is service record has survived in WO364 (the Un-burnt records).

I have now found the other card & it appears he recieved the Pip,Squeak & Wilfred. I will now go after the service record.

Thank you for your help again.

Regards,

John

1. Para 392 xvi means exactly what you've said, discharged as no longer fit for service, the additional 'a' is a sub clause and means "During a period of war".

2. Wmd should read Wnds (or Wounds), the cause of his discharge. The SWB normally has either Wounds or Sickness as the cause.

3. The reference "List TP/5250" is the Army Medal office reference to your man's entry in the Silver War Badge Roll. This reference can be translated into a WO329/XXXX Roll number at the NA, Kew. I think I'm correct in saying that the only additional information you'll gain from the SWB Roll over these particular MIC details is the Silver War Badge number (which was unique to each soldier).

I don't know if you've found the other card for John Downey but if you haven't the link to it is Here

It shows his initial Territorial number as 2762 prior to the renumbering of the Territorials in 1917.

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve,

Fantastic! Thanks for your help with the first 2 questions & the link you gave me was correct and I now have his first card with his medals listed (the Pip,Squeak & Wilfred).

It also mentions that he arrived in France with the 20th London Regiment on the 15th March 1915, which matches perfectly with the soldier Ted Trafford's own arrival with the regiment & who's letters home formed the basis of the book Love & War (which I also now have). I am therefore now confident that I have a pretty good account of what it was like for my grandfather when he went over.

Your link to his first card has established this & therefore I am extremely grateful.

Thankyou

Regards,

John

John

No problem, glad to be able to help.

Regards

Steve