Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bradford Pals mystery

Hi all

I am trying to find out details about my great-grandfather's service record. He died in the first world war and is mentioned in the appendices of The Bradford Pals book. This is what is recorded.

Rudstein, Solomon, b.Leeds, e.Belfast, 47940, Pte., k. in a.,F & F., 3/5/17, formerly M/2/229973, R.A.S.C.

What I find puzzling is that he enlisted in Belfast and that he was formerly in the R.A.S.C - which I take to mean Royal Army Service Corps even though my research tells me it didnt get a royal seal until 1918, a year after his death.

Can anyone help me find a reason why a Leeds man would have enlisted in Belfast and whether there would have been any members of the RASC stationed in Ireland?

Thanks

Ben

Ben,just a thought as my GF enlisted in A.S.C. (made Royal after WW1 I believe) in Woolwich although he clearly enlisted in Sunderland and all his records say that. It has been suggested to me that the ASC were spread around country in depots preparing to go overseasand he wassent onto a base for training and his enlistment completed there. Could be your man had motor experience as a driver and was sent to Belfast to be attached to a part of a unit and details recorded there rather than in Leeds.

Breed,I am currently reading a superb book on the Bradford Pals by David Raw and it would appear that your relative died in an assault on Oppy Wood and Gavrelle. The 16th and 18th Bns were both involved and took very heavy casualties alongside a Bn from the Leeds Pals in the assault and counter attacks by the Germans. Nearly 600 casualties from the 2 Bradford Pals Bns on 3/5/17.The Leeds Pals took casualties of 374 in this action.Cant see mention of yr man but will look out for him (halfway thru book now).

• 2 weeks later...