Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The German Army on the Somme

bob lembke

Guys;

I just finished Jack Sheldon's The German Army on the Somme 1914 - 1916, which came out a few months ago. It gives a great view of that nasty battle, and also provides a really good insight into how the German Army ticked in WW I. He has obviously combed several hundred primary sources. Aside from the language problem, these books are very expensive (Typically over $100 each) and, at least on this side of The Big Ditch, very hard to find in even major libraries.

Many of us know of Jack's almost unique qualifications to turn out such a book. I have read hundreds of sources on WW I in about the last four years, and I cannot think of a better one volume in either English or German to understand the German side of the Somme or, more broadly, to get a grasp on how the German Army worked in WW I.

I hope my unsolicited blurb has not violated some code; I have never touted a current book like this before.

I generally do not even read secondary sources, but this book is about 80% an anthology of primary sources and eyewitness accounts.

Bob Lembke

Bob,

i enjoyed the book as well and it was interesting to see eventss from the German viewpoint for a change, I think I am correct in saying that he is currently working on a book for The Battleguide Europe collection featuring a section of the Somme which again is written from the German perspective and i cannot wait to get my hands on a copy.

Regards,

Scottie.

Sorry, didn't even know there is a book section, which is weird, as I am a certified book nut.

Bob Lembke