Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WAAC Forewoman with Artists' Rifles in Lille

amb

I've had no luck with the small amount of records at the National Archives and wondered if anyone could suggest any other sources for information? My Scottish grandmother was supposedly one of the first 100 women to sign up but she died long before I was born so have never managed to find out very much. In 1981, following a feature on these women on "Nationwide", I met up with an elderly lady who had been among this number, at the time still working as a secretary in the House of Commons!, and who gave me her copy of Dame Helen Gwynne-Vaughan's book, but I'd like to find out about my grandmother's time in Lille and who she might have been stationed with since I believe a number of well-known names joined the Artists' Rifles. Many thanks.

If she was in Lille it can only have been from October 1918 onwards, as the city was liberated by the 47th (London) Division at that time, and prior to that it was in German hands. The Artist Rifles, although the 28th Battalion London Regiment, were in fact with the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division at this time, and did not serve in Lille before the end of the war. Many British soldiers were stationed in this area after the Armistice, however.

Can you post the photo here? Might be able to make some sense of it?

I will ask my sister to scan the photo for me and post it later. In the meantime, this is the information which appears on the back of the photo, which is printed like a postcard on the back. (I think my mother said that her mother had been stationed near Lille rather than in the town, if that makes any difference).

W.A.A.C

2nd Artists Rifles

Romford O.T.C

Essex

Phot is taken by GW Secretan,210A Tufnell Park Road N7

Regimental photographer to the Artist's Rifles OTC

At the bottom RH corner is number 5025 written in white as part of the photo, so don't know if that is any significance or not.

Many thanks

I think you will find she is likely to have been attached th the Artists Rifles for administrative duties as a member of the WAAC. The 2nd Battalion Artists Rifles, officially 2/28th Bn The London Regiment, became No 15 Officer Training Cadet Battalion, and by March 1916 was at Hare Hall, Romford,where it remained.

Terry Reeves

I can only agree with the above; it is likely she was in another WAAC unit by the end of the war, when she was in France. As mentioned, the 2/28th did not serve overseas.

Thank you for this. If you can suggest sources for me to search for further information on the 2nd batallian Artists Rifles and/or Hare Hall Romford, I would appreciate it.