Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.Col R. Round m.c.

Guest tom baker

Guest tom baker

hi i'm trying to research R .Round of the Sherwood Foresters ,he was awarded the m.c. along with other

medals,he served from 1914 upto 1948 and retired with the rank LT.COL.

could any one tell me how he received his MILITARY CROSS,and any other background info.

many thanks

tom

Hi Tom

There is a Robert Walter Rounds listed in Cliff Housley's 'Gallantry Awards - Sherwood Foresters' reference book. Same guy?

He served with the 2/8th battn awarded the MC for gallantry at St Julien on 26th September 1917.

He was taken POW on 25.3.18.

Can send full citation and copy of war diary if thats your man

Mike

Tom

MIC's online has the following card for Robert W Round which states he was a Private in the Notts. & Derbys. with the service number 2737 prior to his commission. Link to the card is Here

I can't find any entries in the Gazette for a Robert W Round being awarded the MC but as Mike says there is a Robert Walter Rounds (there is no MIC under this spelling so I'm assuming he is one and the same).

Link to his Gazette (#30431 17th Dec 1917) entry for the MC is Here

Link to his Gazette (#30645 19th Apr 1918) citation for the MC is Here

Citation reads:

"2nd Lt. Robert Walter Rounds, Notts, and Derby. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in establishing a forward post, with six men, and holding it

throughout, although the division on the left had retired some distance. Leaving an N.C.O. in charge, he went back through the enemy barrage, brought up men in twos and threes and established a forward line."

Hope this helps

Steve