Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

another veteran passes away ....

bradley

greetings pals,does anybody have info or a link re todays man,i think he was from preston ,aged 107 and was a sailor at the time of the great war.a sad day....just heard on bbc radio 4

not heard anything, but if true yes it is a sad day, there are not many left,

last week though I had the pleasure of looking after one at work, it was a great day for me, he is a lovely man and sends his love to everyone.

Mandy

hey mandy,who is the great man u looked after.my guess with ur location it would be HENRY ??? ....very interested in these men.they are living history.

I did not say a word, I cant due to privacy so I am neither able to confirm or deny except to say last I heard he was well and being looked after by people not so uncommon to us.

Mandy

This was Nicholas Swarbrick, the last merchant seaman from the Great War. He served as a radio operator, I think and lived in Lancashire.

We will Remember Them.

11 left ?

Sadly, I suppose we must expect to lose a good number of them this year. Any actuaries among the membership ?

This was Nicholas Swarbrick, the last merchant seaman from the Great War. He served as a radio operator, I think and lived in Lancashire.

We Will Remember Them....

yes ,we shall remember them...........and as for henry,mandy.......i hope it is the man,he is an absolute star and hope he continues to be happy in life.on bbc news in november,i was in hysterics when he burst into song on the sofa and also in deep respect for him the way he shook the the interviewers hand whilst in france......anyway,god bless them all......henry,bill,harry and the other youngsters !!!!!! ................................................................................

..................rip nicholas swarbrick and alfred anderson

Sorry to hear of yet another one passing away.

Rest in Peace Nicholas.

Andy

The last of an oft-forgotten service, who did a vital job.

RIP, Nicholas, and give my great grandfather your regards if your ships pass.

Adrian

At rest with fallen commrades now

may he rest in peace

We shall remember them.

ave

We will Remember Them.

11 left ?

Sorry to hear of his passing. Does the 11 left include those veterans who live overseas?

My State paper had an article this week on two ex British Veterans living in Western Australia. One was Claude Choules ex Navy.

Regards

Andrew

Sorry to hear of his passing. Does the 11 left include those veterans who live overseas?

My State paper had an article this week on two ex British Veterans living in Western Australia. One was Claude Choules ex Navy.

Regards

Andrew

This site lists all worldwide.

Yes, a sad day. Makes us value the remaining ones all that bit more. If you get a chance to meet any of the remaining gents please say hi from the forum members.

Neutrino, thanks for the web link. Interesting to see the spread of veterans across the world.

Chris