Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East & West Kent Regts.

Guest Mogsmum

I first posted this on the 'Soldiers' page, however with hindsight perhaps this would have been the better place.

One of my Grandfathers was in the East Kent Rgt. (Pte. G-23600 French) but I would very much appreciate some assistance on how I might go about finding which Battalion he was in.

Another Grandfather was in 10th Battalion Royal West Kent Regt. (Pte. GS/6738 Dunmall) so I'm interested in any info on them too.

Just a quick BTW. Is there any obvious reason why Pte. French who lived all his life in west Kent would join the East Kent Regt and/or why Pte. Dunmall from east Kent whould join the West Kent Regt?

Have you down-loaded his medal index card from the National Archives site? If that does not mention his battalion (the actual medal roll might) then you will probably need to check for his army service record.

If he was just a wartime recruit then there is only appx 30 percent chance his records survived the Blitz. If he continued service into the 1920's then maybe the MOD will still have his records.

See the linked site (above): The Long, Long Trail.

Ian

That was quick :o

I do have the medal card but (of course) the battalion is the very bit not mentioned! It looks like his army service record then. Thanks very much indeed for the help though, at least I know where to go next.

No! You don't need to search for a service record to find the battalion. The MIC gives you at least one reference to the medal rolls. The battalion will be given there. The rolls are at the National Archives.

Chris,

Yes, I mentioned that the actual medal roll might show his battalion, but am I right in thinking that the medal roll will give the battalion in which the serviceman first entered a theatre of war? It might not be the battalion in which he saw most of his active service. It is certainly the case with my grandfather - the medal roll shows 6th Bn but he told me himself that he served and fought with the 7th.

If the service record still exists it could show a lot more than the medal roll, so well worth hunting further.

Ian

EL French was in the 10th Battalion of the Buffs which was formed from the 1/1 Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles and 1/1 West Kent Yeomanry on 1/2/1917 at Sollum, Egypt. The strength of the Battalion on that day was 46 officers and 875 other ranks under the command of Major AOB Ffrench Blake.

They left that theatre of war on 1 May 1918 and arrived in France 6 days later for service on the Western Front.

French was probably a conscript and as such would have had little (if any) choice of which unit he served in. Hence the reason for service in a unit not geographically linked with his home town.

Ian

The medal rolls should show every Battalion (and Regiment/Corps) that an individual served with. BUT I have seen occasions when this is not the case.

Mick Mills

Mick,

In the case of my grandad (Seaforths) the roll shows 6th Bn. Now, my guess is that after training (with the 3rd Bn) he might have been posted to the 6th Bn, however all the events he told me of (when he was on active service) are those of the 7th. Indeed he told me himself that he was in the 7th.

So, either the medal roll has an error (quite possible) or perhaps he went over to France with the 6th (when he qualified for his BWM), but was soon after transferred. But my point is that the roll only shows the 6th against his name.

Ian

Ian

I'm transcribing the Buffs medal rolls and am finding a number of errors. I suppose it is understandable given the enormity of the task. I make far more mistakes than them but I have the luxury of the functionality of Access and Excel for error tracking.

Mick

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who's been so kind as to reply - I'm new to this 'Servicemen tracing' (and yes, I know, it shows).

At least it explains why people teased my Grandfather - referring to him 'dragging his camel through Dover'. I'd often wondered about that one!!

Again - thank you all so much

E L French is listed in Ponsonby as having joined B Company 10th Buffs after 1st March 1917. He is shown as having served in Palestine and France and as being wounded on the Somme in September 1918.

West Kent (Q.O.) Yeomanry and 10th (Yeomanry) Batt. The Buffs 1914 - 1919 by Charles Ponsonby

Published Andrew Melrose Ltd., London, 1920.

Regards

Steve