Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ordinary Seaman A ROWE RNVR

Bob Bedward

Ordinary Seaman A ROWE RNVR

Bristol Z/2819, R.N. Depot (Crystal Palace)

What kind of depot was Crystal Palace please?

"Alfred Rowe died on Tuesday October 22nd at Kings College Hospital, Denmark Hill London. The deceased lad, who reached the age of 18 in September last, then joined the RNVR and had been serving at the Crystal Palace just a week when he contracted a chill which brought about the complications which caused his death."

On formation in Aug 1914 the RND used Crystal Palace as its mobilisation and training depot until Blandford Forum in Dorset became its depot.

Davie.

Here's another young lad. Ordinary Seaman Leonard William ELLIS Bristol Z/6964 RNVR. RN Depot (Crystal Palace). Died of cerebro-meningitis 6th Feb 1918.Age 18. I would suspect the fact is that these were recruits and would possibly have been their first time living together in large numbers and coming into contact with various diseases.

Lionboxer

Hello

Crystal Palace saw 134 men dying of illness from 4 Jan 18 to 3 Mar 19; 105 of them in October to Spanish influenza.

All best

don

The Crystal Palace Depot ceased to operate as the Royal Naval Division Depot from May 1916. However, it continued to receive all RNVR recruits (except the RNVR "R" series who went direct to Blandford), some of whom could still be posted to the RND Reserves at Blandford for the RND.

The CP Depot was not solely an RND Depot 1914-16 & provided sea-service drafts in large numbers to Chatham, Portsmouth & Devonport.

John M

• 10 months later...
Here's another young lad. Ordinary Seaman Leonard William ELLIS Bristol Z/6964 RNVR. RN Depot (Crystal Palace). Died of cerebro-meningitis 6th Feb 1918.Age 18. I would suspect the fact is that these were recruits and would possibly have been their first time living together in large numbers and coming into contact with various diseases.

Lionboxer

Now doing some follow up work on this lad but have no trace of him in the church records though his CWGC record says he was born in the village, and nothing on the census records which show his mother would have been sixty when he was born!! He had a sister and I'm wondering if he was a product of her and was taken on by his grandmother. His service record is not at the NA, could it be elsewhere? And finally (possibly for the moment!!) where would his death certificate be?

Lionboxer

Lionboxer, the death of Leonard William ELLIS is registered at CROYDON District, Volume 2a Page 529.

See Ancestry.com BMD indexes.

His Death Cert. can be obtained in the usual way. It used to be cheaper to obtain Certs. direct from the relevant Registrar rather than Somerset House.

Now apply to Family Records Centre, 1 Myddleton Street, London, EC1R 1UW. Telephone: 0845 603 7788

http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk

Or: Croydon Register Office,

Mint Walk,

Croydon,

CR0 1EA

register.office@croydon.gov.uk

Kath.

Thanks for that Kath. You've obviously got access to Ancestry.com, can I ask a quick favour please? Can you look up Ellis on the 1901 census, and his parents too, William and Sophia from either Thurton or Bergh Apton. We can't anything at all.

Lionboxer

Lionboxer.

I'm not subscribed to Ancestrycom at present.

They do have "free offers" - one's just finished for the 1901 census.

Anyone can use the BMD Indexes on Ancestry.com - they are always free.

There's also Free BMD : http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ which has a Search facility.

I could only find:

Births Dec 1899 Ellis Leonard William Hertford 3a 634

For the 1901 Census I used : http://www.censusdecoder.com/

If this is the right Leonard, I only found:

Name Age Where born Administrative county Civil parish

Sophia Ellis 25 Northumberland Lesbury Hertford Aston

Leonard W Ellis 1 Herts Aston Hertford Aston

Hope this helps,

Kath.

Kath,

Many thanks for that. My co-researcher is a subscriber to Ancestry. com but for some reason it would not pick up the info we needed, or was it us doing something wrong? Anyway, the info you've provided has helped immensley and from that we can be pretty sure he was not born in Bergh Apton and for some reason Ashton was mistaken for the former.

Old Jack,

If you're reading all this, apollogies to you for hijacking your topic!!

Lionboxer