Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books I have seen about the place

Justin Moretti

The University of Adelaide has Haking's "Company Training" (I found that one page had been torn out around the 390s, and the binding's a bit tatty). Also, "British Fighting Methods in the Great War" (ed. Paddy Griffith).

Flinders University of South Australia has a reprint facsimile of "the Wipers Times"

State Library of South Australia has Tim Travers' "How the War was Won" and Norman Friedman's "US Naval Weapons," the latter of which covers all surface, sub-surface and (where appropriate) aerial weapons, plus gunlaying systems (including, later, radars and computers) in the US Navy in the 20th century to the early/mid 80s. I offer it because our American Great War enthusiasts might want to know about this one, in case they are interested in their nation's navy and its equipment during this period. It also has "Fighter Pilot Tactics", some chapters of which deal with WW1 air fighting. Not a sophisticated read, that last one, but certainly fun and easy.

Also, University of Wollongong (check their website) has a thing called "Tactics" (2 volumes), written by a German and translated by an American, dealing with tactics and weapons for infantry, cavalry and artillery in the immediate pre-war years, and also the 1918 German Order of Battle as a book (based on Allied intel reports).

For those in Adelaide, or Aussies with access to inter-library loans through State or University libraries, I think this may be of help.

I have handled all these books myself as late as January this year. As I reported Haking's book as "damaged", I can't vouch for it, but the others should still be there.

• 2 months later...