Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Killer on the Loose

Ciaran Byrne

Cam across a number of soldiers with the surname "KILLER". I bet the recruting serageants couldn't wait to boast that they had found a real killer....

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

"Killer" is also an occupation. I almost choked on my drink when introduced to someones "Head Killer" :ph34r:

It turned out that, besides a chain of butchers shops that I knew about, the family also owned the slaughter house that supplied the shops.

The "Head Killer" was nothing to do with Don Corleone. He was the foreman in charge of the men who killed the animals.

Then of course you get people called 'Death' (or D'eath). At Railway Chateau Cemetery near Ypres I noticed that soldiers called 'Dance' and 'Death' lie next to each other.

I came across somebody yesterday called "Gonner" and he was, in 1917. (Yes, yes, the spelling is incorrect but it's close enough).

Private WH Shortliffe 85th Canadian. Died age 14.

Not sure if he's on the 'usual' list of young soldiers, so here he is:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=250646

Rest in Peace.

But apparent age on attestation papers is 22, born 1894. Age may therefore be 24, if he was truthful.

Still too short a life.

Service numbers is also incorrect on CWGC page.

I came across somebody yesterday called "Gonner" and he was, in 1917. (Yes, yes, the spelling is incorrect but it's close enough).

With the vast numbers of men in the forces in both world wars you can find any name you want, well almost.

Of course, 3,340 Wests "Went West", but there are also four people called Corpse, 67 Stiff's and 53 people called Mutton, who are dead as the proverbial.

There are even 9 Kaisers, including a Kaiser, William, who was a WW2 casualty. There are also at least 3 Richard Heads, and so on.

Under the circumstances some people would have changed their names, such as another WW2 casualty R Soule who served as R Withers.

The "Head Killer" was nothing to do with Don Corleone.

Tell that to the sheep and cattle!

My great uncle was a slaughterman. He got his when he was kicked by a cow. Poetic justice, it seems to me. :lol:

Tell that to the sheep and cattle!

My great uncle was a slaughterman. He got his when he was kicked by a cow. Poetic justice, it seems to me. :lol:

I know exactly what you mean Angie. I was staying with this family for Christmas as one of the daughters was my then girlfriend. Like a fool I volunteered to help feed and water the few animals that they still had in the holding pens.

The 'atmosphere' was terrible. They say that you can smell fear, and I think it is true. It was one of the worst experiences of my life, and I didn't go to help on any of the other days of the holiday.

I also became a vegetarian for several years.

Geoff-Re. 'Dance of Death'. Indeed I read that Roger McGough poem years ago and it came to mind when I saw those two headstones in Railway Chateau. Interesting that the CWGC use it on their website-presumably they haven't realised that they have the real thing in one of their cemeteries.

But apparent age on attestation papers is 22, born 1894. Age may therefore be 24, if he was truthful.

Still too short a life.

CWGC has corrected both the above typos.

Age is now 24 and number is 282727

CWGC has corrected both the above typos.

Age is now 24 and number is 282727

Is there any indication when the web copy will be updated. I think I remember you saying it was about every 18 months. Must be due?

Thanks,

Geoff

It may never be updated again!

Let me explain....

The web database is due to be linked shortly to CWGC's new computer system so that it feeds off the 'live' database. This will be done when the current development work is all in place.

When this is accomplished all amendments will appear when they are entered.

The last update of the web version was 12.07.05

Still too short a life.

Geoff

Check those details now.