Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery and other initials

Guest jackh

Hello,

My Grand Uncle was William Alfred Joyce Jones from Middlesbrough. His Campaign medal showed he was a gunner with the Royal Garrison Artillery. He was gassed during the war and died a few years later from a related illness. At his funeral he was said to be a trumpeter of the 1st N.N.R.R.G.A.T.H. Could anyone please tell me what all these initials stand for and where his unit would have fought.

Thank's in anticipation, JackH

JackH,

The initials stand for 1st Northumbrian(North Riding)R.G.A.(T.F.) whose H.Q. was in Middlesbrough. The newspapers have got them wrong as usual. Unfortunately I have no information as to the wartime service of the unit.

Graham.

JackH,

The initials stand for 1st Northumbrian(North Riding)R.G.A.(T.F.) whose H.Q. was in Middlesbrough. The newspapers have got them wrong as usual. Unfortunately I have no information as to the wartime service of the unit.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the information, just what I needed. I presume that TF stands for Territorial Force. The report was from a newspaper and I suppose they got most of it right, at least they acknowledged his unit.

Thanks again, JackH