Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn East Surrey Regt

andy1400

I am researching some men from my town, one of whom was in the 8th Bn East Surrey Regt and was killed in action on the 31/03/1918. Would anyone be able to tell me what the Bn was doing and where they were on this day? His name was Jack Pentelow.

Any information appreciated

Andy

Andy

According to the regmental history the battalion, under Lt Col Irwin, was 400 strong due to losses in the preceding week took over from the 34th Australian Brigade on the night og the 30th/31st. The relief was completed by dawn. The frontage to be taken over was some 1,500 yards. The front line consisted of hastily dug rifle pits facing south east about one mile west of Marcelcave which was the result of gains made the previous afternoon by the Australians in a local counter attack.

Moving off at midnight they advanced via Cachy and took over the new positions with the 7th Queens on the left and the 10th Essex on the right.

For the next three days the battalion worked hard to complete a continuous trench which was held by A, B and C Companies each of which had a platoon in support 150 yards in the rear.

D Company had completed a "second" line 500 yards behind that. The Royal Engineers assisted in building some shelters for battalion headquarters.

Throughout this period the weather was cold and wet and the "enemy's activity gradually increased."

They don't appear to have come under a full attack until the 4th of April.

A brief mention in the 7th Queens history says that the 18th Division were ordered to relieve all the troops between the River Luce and the marcelcave-Cachy Road which bears out the description above

Sounds like there wasn't much by way of direct enemy attack but that there was plenty of "activity" I guess in the form of shelling

Hope this helps

Hambo

Thanks very much. Funnily enough I got in touch with his nephew earlier today so I shall be able to pass that on to him as well.

Once again thank you.

Andy