Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

February MGWAT

spike10764

If nobody minds, I'll suggest February's topic...I'll start a new thread.

The title for this months topic

Men(or Women) Could Do No More

Good luck everyone, lets have a few new artists also(come and join in if you're reading this) B)

Might "They could do no more" be a little catchier...?

Sorry, just a thought...!

Nice title though, the broader they are, the better the selection of interpretations you get submitted.

Looking forward to seeing them !!

Jim

Might "They could do no more" be a little catchier...?

Jim

It's a quote (Men Could do No More) from the Battalion diaries of the 11th Border Regiment just after the 1st July 1916, so has a little personal touch to me.......

Thinking cap on, Spike you know I can't draw! Oh well I'll have to see what I can do!

Mandy

Here is my entry. An exhausted Liverpool Scottish Lewis Gunner who " can do no more".

dscf0005edited1os.jpg

Roger,

I can't see the picture :huh: Seriously I can't see it !

It's the old little red cross thing.

Partial screenshot

post-1137-1139513322.jpg

Bruce I don't know what's 'appening, I can see it. But i'll post another one here just in case.

dscf0005edited6eq.jpg

Roger

Stunning piece of work

Glyn

Glyn, Spike thank you.

I cant see the first posting of the Lewis gunner now.

Deja vu or what? I'm beginning to regret winding Spike up in Decembers comp. :D

Roger.

I won't bother to enter methinks, Spike you can have my my fanbase of 1 which I think is you anyway

No, you are the reason we all bothered in the first place, Soren. The MGWAT wouldn't be the same without you, mate.

Do us a piece with poetry....go on....you know you want to

B)

Exellent drawing Soren and a very good interpretation of this months topic.

Roger.

Soren

Another excellent drawing and so poignant.

Reminded me of an article I came across the other day in a copy of 'I Was There', that I thought was very sad

Article title

They saw their crosses being made

Written by Paul Maze, a French observer to General Gough before the 3rd Battle of Ypres

This is part of it

...As on my way up to the line one morning I rode slowly alongside a marching battalion . I heard the regular sound of an engine and saw puffs of smoke shooting up from a house on the road. A steam saw was cutting rythmically through wood, working at high pressure with a tearing sound. Seeing the yard in front of the house piled high with wooden crosses and thinking to spare the men this ominous sight I hurried in to have them removed.

The Belgians engaged in the work through up their arms in despair and pointed through the window at the back where there was a still bigger pile. Nothing could be done. I watched the men as they passed by - some smiled, others passed a joke, some wouldn't look. But I knew they all saw and understood...

Caryl

heers John, Roger & Caryl,

Not sure that the scan does the drawing justice, the bit I like is the soldier nonchalantly smoking on the ridge and the lead stretcher bearer looking back at the viewer

post-4474-1139927944.jpg

so poingnant! Like them both. where is yours spike/

Mandy

Busy time at work :huh: have had no chance to draw it yet. Believe it or not I set the topic and I can't decide what to draw!...... Still a few days of the month yet to go.....

We would like an effort from you please Mandy, doesn't have to be a drawing (eg Rogers model), a poem, a collage :mellow: some prose, whatever you feel comfortable with (as far as I'm concerned its all art- I mean; modern art can be two bricks and a cow pat-so no excuses) B)

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with.

Probably be a little story as you know I can't draw!

Mandy

Spike,

I'm probably gonna look really stupid but, is that your own poem?

No Soren,if only B) , it's the poem used on the 1917 obituary of my Great Grandfather, posted in the local newspaper(see my signature). Apparently it is a 'real' poem(as opposed to a made up one) as someone on here once pointed out. I reckon that is the case as I have seen it used on another obit, in another local paper later in the war.