Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burnt Records

Swally

Guys,

I wonder if someone could kindly tell me what Burnt Records are, or more importantly how do I access them. Can you view them on line or is it a NA job?

your help is appreciated,

Swally

The vast majority of the soldiers service records were all kept in one (presumably very large) building that was hit by a bomb in 1940. What was left after the resulting fire was a mixture of files that were not too badly damaged with many that were, burned round the edges, smoke damaged and often water damaged too. They were stored for years at an MOD facility at Hayes and microfilmed a few years ago. You can view the films at the NA - not on-line I am afraid and probably never likely to be so.

Thanks guys,

I suppose I need a man on the ground now who would look in the National Archives for me.

ta,

Swally

This may have been asked before so sorry if I'm covering old ground but...does anyone know what papers survive or have been destroyed? I'm presuming they were sorted in some kind of order, so does anyone know what names got destroyed e.g. A - M or something like that. I'v heard people say that approx 30% survive but is there anyway to do a quick search without having to go to the NA? If I knew all the G's and all the K's were destroyed etc, it would save me having to look :)

You can view the films at the NA - not on-line I am afraid and probably never likely to be so.

Chris,

Why are they "never likely to be on-line"?

Mark.

Just my guess, Mark, but I'd say a combination of

> money needed

> condition of the surviving papers

> availability on microfilm

makes it very unlikely.

And to barrieduncan: as far as I can tell from a limited analysis (just over 1100 men searched for) the figure of 30% is about right and there seems absolutely no pattern of name, regiment, anything.

Cheers Chris