Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Egmont III (MPS)

charlie2

I've been researching my relative JH Wimpenny for a few years now and I have drawn a blank with one of his Ships - HMS Egmont III (MPS). Joe was transfered from HMS Egmont to Egmont III on 12/08/17 so it would appear that they different ships/depots. Has anyone one any idea what the difference was and what MPS stood for. I've tried the RN & FAA museums and the PRO but no one seems to have any record of Egmont III.

Thanks in advance

Charlie

In memory of 41931 Pte Charley Bamforth 12/Manchester DOW 25/08/17 52FA

Charlie,

To try and answer your post, HMS Bullfrog was renamed Egmont and was a base depot in Pembroke Dock does this fit in with his service?. Could MPS be MDS which is Minesweeper Depot Ship. If you can post the section of his Service Certificate someone may be able to help.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles

As can be seen Joe's service certificate only lists accounting bases etc so it's hard to fit anything into his service. I think you'll agree MPS is very easy to make out.

Charlie

post-7373-1139424411.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a few possibilities for MPS

Maritime Pre-positioned Ships

Maritime Prepositioned Squadron

Maritime Prepositioning Ship

Military Postal Service

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Could you explain what purpose the prepositioned ships/squadron had? Naval stuff isn't really my strong point.

Thanks

Charlie

Basically having naval assets and equipment near an area of potential trouble or hot spot. When the trouble breaks out or the hot spot boils over, these ships can be rapidly deployed.

Cheers,

Tim