Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please help with index card

Guest Rob Peat

post-10672-1139212609.jpg

Hi,

Trying to get info on my grandfather. His medal card is attached and I've been able to find out a fair bit from it but recognise a trip to Kew is on the cards now!

There are still a couple of bits I don't get though and any help will be really useful:

Do the roll references show his battalion/squadron in the RMF/RIR/RAF? They look to be A/103BA 1495 & A/1/7B4 376

Is the date to the right of 'Comm' likely to be the date of his commission?

Is the info under 'Comm' just to do with the date of medal issue?

Any ideas what the writing across the middle/right of the card is? It has reference to the roll number/page but can't decipher the rest - is it just saying his info is under rank and file?

The date of entry seems to be the Suvla landings 7-8-15 but next to it it appears to also say 7-15 - any ideas?

Thanks in advance again!

Rob

Do the roll references show his battalion/squadron in the RMF/RIR/RAF? They look to be A/103BA 1495 & A/1/7B4 376

Is the date to the right of 'Comm' likely to be the date of his commission?

Rob.

The card is a little "Fuzzy", so is difficult to read. :(

But I might be able to help on a couple of the above .

Firstly the Roll references do not show any detail of his Btn/Sqn, these more often than not, will be on the actual rolls themselves (Held at Kew, not online).

The medal roll "Code" you have A/103/B is the code for the Royal Munster Fusiliers. His entry will appear in this roll.

And.

Yes, you can safely assume the "Comm" ref' relates to his commision.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Mark.

Is the RAF part definitely RAF. Could it be RIF - Royal Irish Fusiliers?

London Gazette 5-6-1919

R. Ir. Fus.

3rd Res. Garr. Bn. —

Temp. 2nd Lt. G. Straw relinquishes his

commission on account of ill-health. 6 June

1919, and retains the rank of 2nd Lt.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

The Roll references next to the medals will need to be referenced back to the Medal rolls books at Kew. They will probably give his battalions.

Comm. is likely to be the date of commission.

Officers had to claim their medals (unless KIA) so the part under Comm. probably refers to the claim (and accompanying paperwork, which very likely no longer exists unless there is a copy in his service records)

No extra ideas on the date of entry, I'm afraid.

Steve.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry about the poor copy - it lost alot in going from a fairly crisp PDF to a fuzzy and small jpeg to be able to get it online.

I'm fairly sure its RAF as my mother believes he ended the war as an observer and temporary Major, though the ill health could fit in as I know he was wounded at some point and went back to the Curragh to be nursed there (with my mother being given the gaelic name 'Moyna' after the nurse that looked after him). I'll know a little more in a couple of day as she has some photos of him so hope to see observer wings.

London Gazette seems really spartan on his name - I'd hoped to have found details of commission and any promotion in there.

I'm guessing that the battalion in the RMF was the 7th, by the date of landing at Gallipoli: 7-8-15.