Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The whereabouts of the 219th Heavy Seige Battery RGA 1.10.1917

Guest Worthing26

Guest Worthing26

My great uncle Douglas T. Farrier fell on 1.10.1917, he had been recently appointed to the 219th Heavy Seige Battery of the RGA which I believe between 28th Aug and 18th Oct 1917 was attached to the 54th Brigade. No war diaries appear to exist during this period for the unit.

I would like to learn where the 219th HS Battery was fighting around and about the 1.10.1917.

Regards,

worthing 26

Worthing 26,

Hello there. I'm afraid you're slightly mixed up with the units title, as it's actually 219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A.. The word "Heavy" doesn't enter into it, as it would refer to another type of R.G.A. unit, but as there seems to have been no 219th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. formed then it has to be a "Siege" Battery.

Anyway here's a little bit extra to add. The 219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was formed at Pembroke Dock on the 13th July 1916.

In June 1917 365th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was broken up and it's sections divided between 244th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. & 219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A.

By November 1918 219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were serving as Army Troops with 87th(Mobile)Brigade,R.G.A., Second Army. The Bde consisted of the following units;-

154th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

156th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

194th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

Sorry I have no details of any overseas service.

Graham.

Guest Worthing26
War Diary for 219th SB is at the NA Kew for April to June 1917 only. Firepower Woolwich may have more information or diaries.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...&accessmethod=0

Roop

Roop,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried Firepower who were most helpful but I was informed they did not have them for the period I was interested in. I also visited the PRO without success.

Regards,

Worthing26.

Guest Worthing26
Worthing 26,

Hello there. I'm afraid you're slightly mixed up with the units title, as it's actually 219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A.. The word "Heavy" doesn't enter into it, as it would refer to another type of R.G.A. unit, but as there seems to have been no 219th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. formed then it has to be a "Siege" Battery.

Anyway here's a little bit extra to add. The 219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was formed at Pembroke Dock on the 13th July 1916.

In June 1917 365th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was broken up and it's sections divided between 244th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. & 219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A.

By November 1918 219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were serving as Army Troops with 87th(Mobile)Brigade,R.G.A., Second Army. The Bde consisted of the following units;-

154th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

156th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

194th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

219th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

Sorry I have no details of any overseas service.

Graham.

Graham,

Thank you for your informative reply.

I realised too late that I should not have said "Heavy".

Regards,

Worthing26.

Hello Graham,

Since your greatuncle was buried in Voormezele the Battery must have been in the Ypres surroundings during that period.

Do you have a photograph of your great uncle for our Passchendaele Archives project:

More info is on: http://www.passchendaele.be/pa.html

Kind regards,

jan

Guest Worthing26
Hello Graham,

Since your greatuncle was buried in Voormezele the Battery must have been in the Ypres surroundings during that period.

Do you have a photograph of your great uncle for our Passchendaele Archives project:

More info is on: http://www.passchendaele.be/pa.html

Kind regards,

jan

Graham,

Thank you for your reply unfortunately I do not have a photograph of my great uncle. I will ask my cousin and if I can locate one I will get back to you.

Regards,

Worthing 26