Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Measuring Up!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The most recent edition of 'Stand To' fell on my door mat yesterday morning and in it was an excellent article by LB1418. The section which most interested me was 'Enlistment Criteria for Other Ranks'. This brought to mind the medical history of a soldier in the Hampshire Regiment, who I came across in my own research. The following is verbatim from his record:

Pte A declared his age to be 33 years & 4 months and was a Labourer by trade;

Height - 4ft 11 3/4 inches

Weight - 107 Ibs

Chest - 33 1/2 inches

Range of Expansion - 2 1/2 inches

The Doctor then made the note '1/4 inch under height, 1/2 inch under chest measurement, 7Ibs under weight'

Then and most interesting of all under the section entitled 'Slight defects but not sufficient to cause rejection' is written 'Deaf both ears'!!!

So what happened to this man you might ask?

He was given medical Category B2 :blink: & was sent to the Western Front with an Infantry Labour Coy.

However his time in France was short. Several times he was punished for not obeying orders - yes even you can work out that he probably couldn't hear what was being said to him! Eventually he was admitted to Hospital then back to the UK where he served with an HS Labour Company.

Name available off Forum.

Ian

Incidentally, I remember reading somewhere (but I don't think it was on this forum) about men who wangled their way into the army even though they were completely deaf. I've forgotten all the details I'm afraid. Does anyone know anything about these men? From what I remember, their stories were quite well-known.

Tom

So what happened to this man you might ask?

Well......I would guess that by all the laws of genetics he didn't go on to become your grandfather!

Sue