Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest damianj001

Guest damianj001

Hello,

New to the site and am hoping this will lead me to find more information on my Great Grandfather. Unfortunately my Grandfather never really new his father and now that he also has passed away it is up to us to find our heritage. However we have been lucky so far as we have managed to find his medal cards and with some of the information I have gleaned tonight, I know know that Z class meant that he survived the war and was on reserve. Now I would like to see the war diaries from the 106th field company where he served from 1915 and was awarded thr Victory, British, 1915 Star and the Military medal. I would also like to know if a discharge address was included on their cards as this might help us find out where he went after the war. Anyway I would like to thank all those people who's topics have helped me and hope that I will be able to give you more information in my Great Grandfather in the future.

Hello Damian and welcome to the forum. I assume you have been to The Long Long Trail site and have seen the advice given there on tracing soldiers. You will know of course, that your GGF's MM is a gallantry award while the others are campaign medals. If you give a name and unit, there will be several Pals who will tell you more.

Damian

Welcome to the Forum, hope you find it as helpful as I have.

Some MICs (I understand there is an argument over how many exactly) have the address of the recipient on the back, which were not scanned, & this can be viewed on a visit to the PRO.

Good Luck in your research

Mark

The MICs you see on-line are the same as you see at the NA and also on the microfiche of them. The NA never copied the reverse and the only way to see these, as I understand it, is when the Western Front Association, who now own the originals, make them available to the public. Currently there is no timeframe for that - at least, there is no further news of it on their website.