Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

High Ranks KIA

cazna

Hi

Does anyone know how many high ranking army officers were killed in action in WWI.

Lieutenant-Colonel and above.

I would be interested in British, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand or South Africa.

Duncan

If my memory serves me correctly Richard Holmes writes about this in 'Tommy'. Far more senior officers were killed in WW1 than in WW2.

Gunner Bailey

There is an excellent book 'Bloody Red Tabs' byFrank Davies, G. Maddocks. It covers all General officers killed and wounded and gives small bio of each man.

Officers Died in the Great War lists 52 officers of Commands and Staff that died. All but 2 are above the rank of lt col and 4 VCs are included. There must be more because I have noted that it does not include Maj-Gen Thesiger Co 9 Div, killed at Loos.

I could not find anything in 'Tommy' but from 'Mud, Blood and Poppycock' Gordon Corrigan states:

'Altogether four British lieutenant generals, twelve major-generals and eighty-one brigadier generals died or were killed between 1914 and 1918. A further 146 were wounded or taken prisoner. Whatever else the generals were doing, they were certainly not sitting in comfortable chateaux.' Corrigan refers to 'Bloody Red Tabs' as a source document.

Roxy

'Altogether four British lieutenant generals, twelve major-generals and eighty-one brigadier generals died or were killed between 1914 and 1918.

Looks like the above are taken from SDGW figures.

For the years 1914-1918, CWGC has at least 5 UK lieutenant generals, 18 major generals (14 UK, 1 India, 1 Canada, 2 Australian) and 96 brigadier generals (85 UK, 2 Australia, 3 New Zealand, 6 Indian).

By 1921 the numbers had increased to at least 6, 28 and 112 for the three general ranks respectively.

'There are two kinds of knowledge: knowing; and knowing where to find out'.

Dr Samuel Johnson