Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aldershot - 2nd/21st Division mystery

Guest jadeguy

Hoping someone might be able to throw some light on this mystery, although not strictly first world war.

I find in the 1891 Census (and believe me it is a small miracle that I ever managed to come across the information but that's another story!)

A William Guy was based in Farnborough in 1891.

He was a Gunner at North Camp - Aldershot

Ancestry lists it as - 21st Division Field Artillery but I believe the image looks closer to 2nd Division.

I've searched and searched for information about divisions but can find nothing to throw any further light on what this division did or consisted of.

I believe he was with the Royal Field Artillery (from son's marriage certificate and 1901 Census)

I believe the following were stationed at North Namp on or near 1891.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/08/1891 - 31/12/1893 The Lincolnshire Regiment, 1st Battalion North Camp

01/08/1889 - 31/10/1891 The Buffs, 2nd Battalion North Camp (District East Kent Regiment of Foot)

01/08/1889 - 30/11/1891 The Somerset Light Infantry, 2nd Battalion North Camp

01/02/1890 - 31/10/1891 The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 2nd Battalion North Camp

01/10/1891 - 31/12/1893 The King's Own Royal Regiment, 1st Battalion North Camp

01/10/1891 - 31/12/1893 The Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 1st Battalion North Camp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone help?

Jadeguy,

Welcome to the Forum. It took some finding, but in the end I found that the Royal Field Artillery had unusual titles for their units at this time and the "21st Brigade-Division, R.F.A." was formed about 1900 with 101st; 102nd and 103rd Batteries.

Don't know if this ties in with your research?

Graham.

Thanks for the welcome :)

21st Brigade-Division, R.F.A." was formed about 1900 with 101st; 102nd and 103rd Batteries

Don't know if this ties in with your research?

I'm not sure Graham, This was 1891 census information but I'll do some more hunting round with that info and see if I can make a connection.

The rumour was GGG-Grand-Dad was in the Boer War and came home with a head injury.

It's all very hard to untangle when you have no knowledge of how the army works and so little info to go on.

Jadeguy,

The South African or Boer War was from 1899 - 1902, so it's possible that this unit may tie in with what you know. Have you got any documents or otherwise showing your details which could be scanned and produced here?

Graham.

Graham - I ordered some pages of a document (discharge papers) from National Archive last night. I'm hoping they might show information for my particular WILLIAM GUY and then hopefully, I'll know more. I believe they'll arrive in digital image format on Monday.

Chris - that's what I thought (from reading your web site). If I understand correctly the 21st Division were part of K3 New Army. Is that correct?

Divisions, brigades, regiments, etc. It's taking a while to understand the heirarchy.

Thanks to you both.