Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

COUNT O'GORMAN

Ken Devitt

While searching for a friend's father in the MIC a name came up which facinated me, Count Robert Jean Marie Gaspard O'Gorman, Special List. Although the surname is Irish I think it might be a bit Irish to think he was actually Irish, if you know what I mean.

Does anybody know anything about the Lieut. Count and what exactly was the Special List.

Ken

While searching for a friend's father in the MIC a name came up which facinated me, Count Robert Jean Marie Gaspard O'Gorman, Special List. Although the surname is Irish I think it might be a bit Irish to think he was actually Irish, if you know what I mean.

Does anybody know anything about the Lieut. Count and what exactly was the Special List.

Ken

He was a Belgian. Maybe some of the Belgian members know more of him? As this mention of Count O'Gorman is from 1901 it is even possible that the person being spoken of here was the father of "your" man.

In 1901 Gertrude Bell wrote:

"I entertained. When I came back from my toilette I found an oldish man with two little boys, a charming Frenchman (no Belgian I think he is) and a nice little curate, who said they were indebted to me for some delicious tea my guides had given them. They were all very agreeable; they stayed talking to me while I breakfasted. The Belgian is one Count O'Gorman, he has a wife down here whose acquaintance I have made. He is a great mountaineer and a delightful person. The two little boys were quite delicious and who do you think their father was? - no less than Dr Lunn! so I have unwittingly made friends with the Mammon of travelling unrighteousness! The little boys have spent most of their time in my pocket this morning and I have lent them a map with which they are enchanted. Their life is a misery to them because their father says they are not to climb big peaks till they are 20 - they are now about 13 I suppose!"

Sourse: http://www.gerty.ncl.ac.uk/letters/l489.htm

What a lovely account. I daresay one of the boys was to become the Belgian/French Lieut. I wonder what became of him and how he came to be in the Special List.

I think this would make a great story.

Ken