Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

President II - Mullion & Storehouse

ashton

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me anything about "President II (Mullion)" and "President II (Stonehouse)" during 1916.

I know that at some time Stonehouse, at Plymouth, was home to: The Royal William Victualling Yard, Royal Naval Hospital and the Millbay Docks but would this have been the Stonehouse referred to?

Regards

Derek Riley

Hello

Mullion was in Cornwall and was an RNAS facility from October 1915 to April 1918 when it was transferred to the RAF. PRESIDENT II administered the RNAS.

Sorry, can't help with Stonehouse in relation to PRESIDENT II.

All best

don

Stonehouse would indeed have been Plymouth (today). In WW1 times Stonehouse was not quite a town in its own right, but still thought of itself as such. In fact, even today the terms Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse are still used to dentoe 'regions' of the city of Plymouth.

In WW1 times the hosital at Stonehouse was alongside the creek and had been built there specifically so that casulaties could be brought by boat straight to the hospital without transiting through the city from the dockyard.

The creek was (and the filled in area is still known as the creek) was there into the 1960s and I remember that there was long and earnest discussion about filling it in, the main eye being on whether or not the creek would ever again be used to bring in casualties.

The hospital closed down in the late 1990s.

The Royal William yard is still there although now in private hands and, I think a marina. About 35 years ago someone who worked there wrote a history of it. If you contact the Royal Naval Supply and Transport Service (I used to work for it) and say that it was serialised in the RNSTS Journal in the early 1970s someone may look it out for you!