Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

245th bde. RFA refs.

Simon R

Hello Simon,

Thanks very much for the information re: 245 Bde RFA and the material available at Otley Museum. I'll try and get down Monday or Tuesday next week. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ron

Ron.

I cannot post an attachment to forum messages so I shall stick Henry Hirst’s picture here for you. I will post his information tomorrow after I have had a chance to read the photocopy and write it up.

Tony.

post-3707-1139346731.jpg

Ron.

I cannot post an attachment to forum messages so I shall stick Henry Hirst’s picture here for you. I will post his information tomorrow after I have had a chance to read the photocopy and write it up.

Tony.

Hello Tony,

Thanks very much for the reply, it's a vey good photo. I look forward to

reading his write up in the Newspaper. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ron

It doesn't look like any of your named gunners (from e-mail) served in D battery 245th bde. - they don't appear in nominal roll or hnours/awards obtained by bty.

Try getting in touch with rflory on the forum - he's very good with RFA citations, awards etc.

Hello Simon,

Thanks for looking, I'll find something about them one day.

Regards,

Ron

Regarding Sergeant Henry Hirst.

I have not yet seen a report of a memorial service but there will probably be one and it may add further information. Information found so far is included below.

Tony.

Henry Hirst, Sergeant (307747), 1st 7th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment.

The son of Mary Hannah Hirst, 158 Woodhead Road, Hinchliffe Mill, Holmebridge, he was twenty-eight years old. Before the war he had worked as a weaver for Barber & Sons at Clarence Mills, Holmebridge. He played cricket and football for a local team and was actively involved with Saint David’s church at Holmebridge, and the Sunday School where he was a teacher and a sidesman.

He was also a pre-war territorial who was mobilised on the outbreak of the war and arrived in France in April 1915. After a few weeks acclimatisation at Fleurbaix he spent the rest of that year at Ypres, moving down to the Somme area in 1916. He will have been at Passchendaele in 1917, and was in Belgium when he was killed in action on Sunday 28th of April 1918. His platoon officer wrote that he was killed instantly by a machine gun bullet. He was awarded the Military Medal and Meritorious Service Medal.

News of his death came in a letter from Private Hirst Naylor, also from Hinchliffe Mill, who wrote: “It is hard for me to write these few lines. It is to tell you that Henry has got killed, and I did not want to be the first to break the news to you, but I think it is my duty to let you know, because we have been like brothers out here. I can tell you I shall miss him and only God knows how I feel it, but we never know whose turn it is next. He has given his life fighting for the right, and I can tell you he was one of the best N.C.O.’s in the Battalion, and everyone liked him. I was with him the night before he went into the line, and he was as happy as ever.”

An unnamed officer wrote that during a big German offensive: “Your son and I decided that it would be best to go forward and meet the attack, which we did. He was my Platoon Sergeant and was the most respected and best liked man in the company, and his death creates a gap amongst us which can never be filled, a gap of sentiment, for he was almost idolised by officers and men alike. Sergeant Hirst was recommended by his Company Commander in an attack previous to this in which he was killed, for his coolness and bravery, and I again recommenced him yesterday for his bravery previous to him being killed. I sincerely hope you will not fret, for he died a true man and a gentleman. Besides being my Sergeant, he was my friend.”

There is no known grave consequently he is commemorated on Panel 82-85 and 162A of the Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, West Vlaanderen, Belgium. Locally he is named on the Holme, Holmfirth and New Mill War Memorial: Holme and Holmebridge section, and the Holmebridge War Memorial.

Territorials mobilised in August 1914 (5th Battalion):

Private H Hirst (225)

Private H Hirst (1844)

There are also two Holmfirth men named Harry Hirst who died during the war, and one of them died of wounds at Malta on the same day that Henry Hirst died.

Hello Tony,

Thanks very much for all your efforts re:Henry Hirst, Sergeant (307747), 1st 7th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment. What a fantastic write up, could you please let know which Newspaper

articles or other sources you extracted the information from ? I'm not sure that he 'arrived in France in April 1915', his MIC suggests entitlement to War + Victory. Do you happen to know if there are any other 7th West Riding Regiment casualties named on the Holme, Holmfirth and New Mill War Memorial: Holme and Holmebridge section, and the Holmebridge War Memorial ? I am collecting information with a view to producing a book about the 7th W Riding R, primarily in relation to the men who served and their experiences in the Great War. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ron

The newspaper is the Holmfirth Express, a weekly that usually has an obituary when local men are killed. I have checked the paper again and they say he was mobilised in August 1914 and arrived in France in April 1915. If that statement is true he will probably have been with his battalion in the 147th Infantry brigade in the 49th West Riding division.

I suppose it is possible that he spent some time with the second line battalion, although I have seen no mention of it. I know that some men mobilised in August 1914 did not go out for a long time so anything is possible, but I have seen no mention of it.

There are at least three more named on the main Holmfirth district memorial, Ernest Butterworth, Ernest Littlewood and Frank Hill. Frank started out in the 1st 5th.

Ernest Butterworth of 24 Park Riding, Holmfirth, a Private (2165), 1st 7th Battalion, Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment. He was killed instantly on Monday the 12th of July 1915 at Ypres aged twenty-six. Born at Austonley, the son of Alfred H. and Alice A. Butterworth, he was associated with his farther in running the woollen manufacturers H&S Butterworth’s at Lower Mills. A member of the Wesleyan Church and the Liberal Club, he enlisted at Milnsbridge at the outbreak of the war. His brother was Lieutenant Norman Butterworth, Royal Army Flying Corps, who died of wounds in 1917. His mother was very active in charitable work during the war.

Ernest Butterworth was buried in Grave 14 on Row D, at the Colne Valley Cemetery, Boezinge, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Locally he is named on the Holme, Holmfirth and New Mill War Memorial: Upperthong section.

Ernest Littlewood lived at 126 Woodhead Road, Hinchliffe Mill, Holmebridge, a member of the congregation of Hinchliffe Mill Wesleyan Church. Aged twenty-five, he was an Acting Corporal (2179), 1st 7th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment. He enlisted at Milnsbridge and was killed in action on Monday 18th September 1916. The battalion attacked the Leipsig Redoubt on the 17th and was relieved on the day Ernest Littlewood died although they stayed in the Thiepval area.

The news of his death first came to Holmfirth in the form of a rumour, which was confirmed by Private Hirst Naylor when he came home on leave. Ernest Littlewood, Hirst Naylor, Sam Hinchliffe and Lewis Mettrick from Hinchliffe Mill had all enlisted together. Before the war he had worked as a weaver at Digley Mills, after six months training he arrived in France on his twenty-fourth birthday. A member of the Holme Bridge Football Club and the Wesleyan Chapel.

In a letter to Ernest’s mother Second Lieutenant N. Crabtree wrote:

“Dear Madam, I am sorry to have to inform you that your son No. 2179 Corpl. E. Littlewood was killed in action on the 17th of last month. His death was caused by a sniper, and no doubt it will be a consolation to know that he had a peaceful end. He was a good soldier, and his loss is much felt by the Company, but he died bravely, fighting for his loved ones at home. Please accept my sympathy in your sad bereavement, also that of my brother officers and men of the Company.”

Private Arthur Gillibrand also wrote saying:

“Just a few lines to let you know that your parcel landed all right. I though it was my place to write to you and let you know about your son. On the 17thof September, your son, along with a few more pals of the Lewis gun section, were doing some work together when your son was hit by a sniper and he did not live long after it. We were very sorry to lose him, for he was one of my best pals. He was laid in a nice resting-place and a cross will be put on his grave. We all miss him every day and think of how you will miss him. All his pals send their deepest respect.”

He has no known grave consequently he is named on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France. Locally he is commemorated on the Holmfirth and New Mill War Memorial: Holme and Holmebridge section.

Frank Hill lived at 62 Woodhead Road, Holmfirth, with his sister, Ethell Hill. A Private (6657), 1st 7th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment.

He was the twenty-four years old son of the late James Henry and Mrs Hill, and was previously employed as a teaser at Whiteley and Green Limited, Hinchliffe Mill Mill. He played the double base with Holme Brass Band and was member of Saint John’s Institute.

He enlisted at Huddersfield in the 1st 5th Battalion on 5th October 1914, and went to France with them in April 1915. He was sent back to England with a rupture in July, he was at home on leave during October 1915, and again in April 1916, and returned to the front in August 1916.

One day he was boiling water in a can when it burst in his face, septic poisoning then set in and he was brought home and hospitalised again, returning to the front in December 1916, this time with the 1st 7th Battalion, in the bombing section.

He died of wounds on Thursday 15th March 1917, the same day that his sister received news that he was seriously ill with gunshot wounds in the head, and permission to visit him could not be granted.

A letter from the Sister-in-charge says:

“I am very sorry to say that your dear brother died yesterday. He passed away most peacefully, suffering no pain at all. He received every possible care and attention here and the best of surgical skill, but God had need of him. I cannot tell you how sorry I feel for you, but you will find solace in the thought that your dear brother is now safe and free from all earthly cares and sorrows of this world. For him we need not grieve, but it is for those left to mourn we must pray for resignation until they are reunited in God’s good care. He was visited frequently by the padre. Accept my heartfelt sympathy.”

Another letter from his platoon officer, Second Lieutenant J Mallalieu says:

“I am sure you will be pleased to know what a popular fellow he was amongst the whole platoon. As platoon commander I can easily pick a man out, and that is why he was accompanying me. He was throughly efficient in his duties. There is not a shadow of a doubt we shall all greatly miss him. Everything possible was done for him, and the news of his death came as a great blow to us.”

A third letter, this time from the Reverend Edwards, said:

“I am so very sorry to tell you that your dear bother (Pte. F. Hill, No. 6657, of the 1/7 W.R.R.), died at this casualty clearing station at six p.m. He had been very badly wounded in the head and chest, and only lived a few hours after he was admitted to this hospital. He did not leave any special message. We laid your dear brother to rest this afternoon at the British cemetery in this place. A cross will be erected over his grave in a few days time. The Director of Graves Registration, the War Office, Winchester House, St. James Square, London. S. W., would tell the name of this place and the number of the grave. My heart bleeds for all the relatives who are losing their dear ones out here. God grant this awful war may soon cease. God bless and comfort you all and make you brave enough to say, “Thy will, not mine, oh Lord.” Your loved one is now at rest.”

Buried in Grave 21 of Row B in Plot 1 at Merville Communal Cemetery Extension, Nord, France. Locally he is commemorated on the Holmfirth and New Mill War Memorial: Upperthong section.

Hello Tony,

Thanks very much for the details of the 7th W Riding R casualties from Holmfirth and District. I'll have a look to see if I can add any further information. Were there any photos of these men in the Holmfirth Express ? I have a copy of Henry Hirst's MIC (copied from the NA) and I have looked on the NA search site which only gives a six figure number for him. Although mobilised in August 1914 I think he spent some time with the second line battalion before going to France. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ron

The newspaper can sometimes be mistaken. In February 1915 the Holmfirth Express reported that two merchant ships had just been sunk by the Karlsruhe, which had already mysteriously exploded in the Caribbean during a concert given by the ships band on the 14th of November 1914.

In 1917 the paper says they are down to a quarter of their pre-war staff.

I will get hold of copies of the photographs mentioned but the quality can often be very rough.

Tony.

Bernard Copestake Johnson, a Lieutenant, 2nd 7th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment was killed in action Monday 14th May 1917. He trained as a teacher at Saint John’s Collage at Battersea, and began teaching in London in 1900, remaining there for six years, before moving to Kirkham, Lancashire. A thirty-seven year old, he had spent the last seven years before the war as the headmaster of the Holmfirth National School. At college he was a Sergeant of Volunteers in the Collage Regiment and gained a marksman’s badge. At Holmfirth he was a member of the National Reserve and treasurer of the Holmfirth section. He had a silver medal for ambulance work and a Life Saving Medal. He was a good all round athlete and excelled in the hurdles and high jump, he was also adept at Swedish Drill, which today would be called Physical Training or Physical Education in schools.

He joined the army on 2nd October 1914, wounded at the Somme in July, he was sent to hospital in England and received a commission to Second Lieutenant in September 1916. He returned to the front only two weeks before he was killed where he was appointed Brigade supervisor for Physical training and Bayonet fighting to the 186th Infantry Brigade.

He was buried at Ecoust Military Cemetery, Ecoust, St Meinp, Pas de Calais, France.

Grave Reference Number II. A. 38. Holme, Holmfirth and New Mill War Memorial: Holmfirth section, and the Holy Trinity, Holmfirth Parish Church Memorial.

There is another one from the 2nd 7th, Private Walter Booth Bray, I shall add his information at the weekend.

Tony.

Hello Tony,

Thanks very much for your last two posts, the details regarding Bernard Copestake Johnson, Lieutenant, 2nd 7th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment are most helpful. I knew of him as a casualty but had been unable to find out where he was from. Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Ron

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the encouragement but I'm still collecting material for inclusion. Still a lot of leg work to be done. The 7th West Riding Regiment traditionally recruited from 3 counties: Yorkshire, Cheshire and Lancashire. Lots of libraries to visit. If you know of anybody who might have any contribution to make, please point them my way. Tony has provided me with a lot of information already, thanks for that Tony.

Regards,

Ron