Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Cuthbert McGeachy MGC 1915-18

WINDSOR383

my great uncle Thomas was in the MGC & an unknown highland regiment, the photograph shows thomas lying front right, it looks like a course photo with the officer in the centre in service dress, i have a second photo which is to big to add to this mail but it shows thomas wearing the same jumper and trousers doing bayonet training, does anyone have an idea what course it could be.

post-8905-1139060055.jpg

Hello,

The officer is in the MGC. The uniform the men are wearing looks like that worn by members of Army Intstruction staff. The Jumpers were Red and Blue/black striped. I know that the Army Gymnastics Staff wore them. It's possible that all physical instructors wore them, but I can't be sure. I'm sure another Pal will know.

He must be at a facility for training troops. Maybe at the MGC Training centre?

Regards,

Stewart

my great uncle Thomas was in the MGC & an unknown highland regiment, the photograph shows thomas lying front right, it looks like a course photo with the officer in the centre in service dress, i have a second photo which is to big to add to this mail but it shows thomas wearing the same jumper and trousers doing bayonet training, does anyone have an idea what course it could be.

They are indeed Army Gymnastics Staff instructors.

It appears your Gt Uncle served in the Scottish Rifles, I suspect the top two both relate to him. See here.

Cheers

Hi, thank you for confirming that thomas was an Army Gymnastics staff instructor. the link you gave me for the medal index card i already have it and it records thomas as Pte 60640 MGC, which is exactly the same details as i have on the MGC certificate, which it says he served from 1915-18in the MGC. I have looked on the internet for cap badge pictures and it looks more like a large star shape, highland light infantry possibly. also can a soldier have 2 medal index cards.

best regards Stu.

They are indeed Army Gymnastics Staff instructors.

It appears your Gt Uncle served in the Scottish Rifles, I suspect the top two both relate to him. See here.

Cheers

thanks for the help, i have a second photograph which shows thomas 2nd from right participating in a bayonet fight, does this tally with the gymnastic instructor course.

regards Stu.M.

post-8905-1139430957.jpg