Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8 & 1/6 Royal Warwicks 1/7/16

Terry Carter

Hi Folks

On the 1st July 1916 the 1/8th and 1/6th Royal Warwicks advanced towards the German position known as the Heidenkopf. These two battalions were part of 143 Brigade of the 48th Division. For the 1st of July they were attached to the 12th Brigade of the 4th Division.

I am trying to establish when the decision was made to attach these two battalions for the attack, and who by.

Perhaps there might be some info in 4th Div HQ Diary or 12th Brigade Diary. If any Forum member has these Diaries copied for the days leading up to the opening day of the battle, could you have a look for me please.

Thanks

Terry

Terry, Peter Caddick-Adams' book "By God, they can fight" (about the Warwicks Bde) mentions this and states that Operation Order 65 (dated 25th June) outlines the Bdes part in the forthcoming offensive, and explained that the 6th and 8th Warwicks would be attached to 11th Bde; he is no more specific than that.

The OH also gives little detail; my guess is that as 11th Bde had quite a distance to cover to its final objective (Puisieux Trench). it was felt wise to beef it up with 2 extra battalions from Corps reserve. The 5th and 7th Warwicks were in the line and assisted by making a dummy attack, letting off smoke, etc.