Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bodelwyddan (St. Margaret) Churchyard

mordac

and Young. I have separate photos of both the official inscription and the personal inscription at the base of the stone, plus church etc. If you can send me your e-mail address through private message, I'll e-mail them off to you. Although you can save them direct from the screen, continual saving of jpeg reduces their clarity (imho). :)

post-19-1064144545.jpg

Garth,

I made a visit today but I see that Richard has beaten me to it! Anyway, in addition.....

post-19-1064184420.jpg

....and Young, Tasarevich and Haney side-by-side. In the previous photo they are the three at the end of the row to the left of the two gents (two Scousers I got talking to who were confused by most of the dates being 1919, so I served a [rare] useful purpose by explaining the post-war problems of repatriating the Canadians, and added to Putkowski's bank balance as the two gents popped into the church to buy a copy of his 'Kinmel Park Camp Riots'!)

Hi Andrew

If possible could you send me a copy of John Gillan head stone.I`m going to Florence Nova Scotia this Wed.I would love to be able to give a copy to the RCL there.

Cheers

Dave

I`ve been looking through the unit history no mention of the riot.Plus in the unit histroy he is not mention as killed.

Hi Richard and Andrew:

Many thanks to both of you for going to the time and effort to take these photographs for me. The Baker Pals do it again! You guys are fantastic. I've sent you both e-mails thanking you and requesting you e-mail me originals; hope you don't mind.

Andrew, If you're in the area again would you please pick me up a copy of Putkowski's book 'Kinmel Park Camp Riots.' I will of course send you a British pound money order to cover the cost of the book and shipping to Canada. In fact, I'll do it in advance if you know the cost of the book.

Regards,

Garth

BTW, do either of you recall the personal inscription on Joseph Young's headstone?

HICKMAN is buried in Dorchester Rural Cemetery, New Brunswick, Canada

Hi Terry:

Thanks for the heads up the new location of Gunner John Hickman's grave. I've checked the Maple Leaf Legacy Project web site and have found out there are two CWGC graves located in the Dorchester Rural Cemetery and neither headstone is available to view on the Internet yet. I'll keep checking back.

Garth

The personal engraving on Young's headstone is:

'Sometime, Sometime

We'll Understand'

Sums up the whole war if you ask me.

I'll try to get you a copy of the Putkowski book. I'll let you know about costs etc., but I don't think it will be too expensive as it's only 55 pages long. I bought my copy about 3 years ago and I think it was about £6 Sterling.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mordac

I was talking to the historian from 2nd Nova Scotia Highlanders CB.He told me Gillan was attached to 17th CEF when he was kill.Still working on it.

Cheers

Dave

• 5 months later...

Is Putkowski`s book The Kinmel park Riots, still in print? Has anyone got a copy they`d like to sell? If so please drop me a line, as I`m keen to learn more about this event.