Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why killed and buried in land

Pierre

Hello All,

Just wonder why ships crews, of Naval Volunteer Reserve have been killed and buried in land, often, far of the coast.

Many thanks.

Pierre

These men died on land and so their relatives could select where they buried them - often in their home town/village.

A few would have been sailors who died at sea but were washed ashore.

for reasons stated above plus the RN, during the war, sent a selected few to the PBI as "observers" for short periods of time to see the elephant first hand. There would have been casualties from that as well.

DrB

:)

Pierre

Sorry - I assumed you query concerned naval men buried in Britain.

However, as I see you are based in Belgium, you may be referring to men of the Royal Naval Division. Basically these were sailors who fought alongside army units on land.

I will let one of our RND experts give a full desciption of their service.

The Royal Naval Division were assisting the army, and as such, any casualties they sufferred were treated in the same way as the army dealt with their casualties.

Britain did not have a policy of bringing bodies home.

Best wishes

David

I was thinking at men buried near Arras, Cambrai or Valenciennes, who are far of the sea, for sailors.

Regards.

Pierre

Hello All,

Just wonder why ships crews, of Naval Volunteer Reserve have been killed and buried in land, often, far of the coast.

Many thanks.

Pierre

As far as Arras is concerned, The Royal Naval Division were the primary unit involved in the attack on Gavrelles, the furthest north part of this battle. Very heavy fighting with many casualties.