Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos needed in Conwy, please

Dragon

Planning application 0/31303, 12th January, 2006, lodged with Conwy County Borough Council, is for the demolition of the health club on Mount Pleasant and the construction of three dwellings with car parking.

I believe this building to be a drill hall which was sold sometime after 1916 and converted to a Catholic hall. My opinion is shared by a local historian in Conwy.

I visited it a year or so ago and took external photos, but if this building is to be demolished, I would also like some internal pictures. Is there anyone who either uses the club or would be willing just to go inside and ask for permission to take a few photos?

Please, if you can help, don’t delay; it could be too late if we wait too long to record it for Graeme’s project. It’s another part of the historic environment connected with the Great War about to be casually swept away for just three houses.

I know that photographic records may be made of such buildings prior to demolition, and I know where they are lodged, but there are cost and copyright issues in obtaining and using the images. It’s much easier to be gifted pictures by generous supporters.

Also in Conwy, I’m aware of the existence of the drill hall which was on Berry Street. I’ve been in touch with a lot of people, local residents, engineers and archaeologists, who have all seen photos but can’t actually produce one. The evidence to date this drill hall is also very elusive and contradictory. If by any chance anyone has a picture, or information, I would be truly grateful. It was actually a very interesting site in archaeological terms, even though the building itself was apparently unremarkable.

Thank you for reading. I hope someone will help.

Gwyn

Gwyn, I'll see what I can do. I admit to being completely unaware of the Mount Pleasant Drill Hall.

As for Berry Street, I can't imagine where the drill hall is there. New buildings were erected on the street 2/3 years ago but I don't recall what was there before. There was an unremarkable building used by local TA / Cadets but it looked 1960's-ish. Again, I'll see what I can find out.

In the meantime you may consider contacting the Local Studies Library at Llandudno Public Library. If they have anything interesting I'd happily go across and copy whatever for you.

Thank you, Andrew. I'll contact you via forum email with some information.

The drill hall is no longer on Berry Street. There's some disagreement between memories of older Conwy people (who identified the location) and the archeological survey prior to demolition in 2002. I am in touch with GAT and RCAHMW. Again, more off forum.

Gwyn