Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Numbers query

Guest fossey

I have been advised to post a topic to see if anyone knows what the numbers indicate on my grandfathers medal card.

His number is 25060 Durham Light Infantry Private and the next number is 103235

Many thanks

Angela

post-10305-1138992123.jpg

Angela.

I would say the 6 figure number is the "New" one allocated to him as a result of the 1917 Re-Numbering.

Angela & Pte1643,

The post 1917 renumbering that Pte1643 refers to, was those numbers which replaced four figure numbers which were issued to members of the Territorial Force. However that's not the case here as I have a full list of all those replacement numbers issued to the TF.

To my knowledge only *three line infantry regiments were actually issuing six figure numbers in the 100,000 series, that were not TF numbers and those units were the DLI, Northumberland Fusiliers and Notts & Derby Regt. From my experience these numbers were issued in 1918 and went to two types of soldier (a)Boy soldiers conscripted in 1918 and (b)Old soldiers from other Battalions or units who had been wounded/sick who on recovery had been sent to the Training Reserve and then transferred again.

These old soldiers on transfer to the TR would have been issued new numbers beginning TR/?/***** the first part of the number indicating they were Training Reserve(TR), the second part (/?/) was the Regimental District number and (*****) the number they were issued.

The TR was regarded as a seperate Corps and when the call came for further reinforcements in 1918 and men were transferred back to their old units named above or transferred to them they seem to have been issued these new six figure numbers by these units in this 100,000 series.

Hope this makes some sense to you?

Graham.

*Note - there may have been more units but I haven't looked fully into it.

The post 1917 renumbering that Pte1643 refers to, was those numbers which replaced four figure numbers which were issued to members of the Territorial Force. However that's not the case here as I have a full list of all those replacement numbers issued to the TF.

Thanks for the info Graham. B)

Pte 1643 and Graham

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am afraid it is still all very complicated to me as I am not up on the army in any way.

When you say boy soldier at what age would that be. I think he joined up at the age of 18 as he was born in 1897. So when it said date of theatre 1815, I presume that was the age he joined up.

Thanks again

Angela

Fossey,

There was nothing to stop him volunteering aged 18yrs, although by rights he wasn't allowed on active service until aged 19yrs. The "boy soldiers" I was referring too were actually the boy conscripts, who on attaining the age of 18yrs were automatically taken into the Army.

Your grandfather enlisted long before conscription was introduced in 1916, but may have lied about his age to enter a theatre of war in 1915.

Graham.