Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F.A.N.A.C. Any Idea what this stands for?

RMAMarshall

Dear All,

Have just come across what I think is a lady's WW1 jacket in an auction, but am stumped by the insignia - the letters F.A.N.A.C. stitched in white cotton below a yellow patch on the shoulder straps. The jacket itself had an integral belt, pockets in the skirts and leather buttons, but no lining, label or any other identifying marks. Same material as ordinary WW1 OR's service dress. Cannot find anything like it in 'Great war abbreviations' or any other reference works (unless it is FANYC Spelt badly!). Any ideas?

Richard

"First Aid Nursing Auxilliary Corps??

"First Aid Nursing Auxilliary Corps??

Can find no reference to a unit anywhere with that name - is it a guess, or did the 'First Aid Nursing Auxilliary Corps' exist? If so, is probably correct.

Sorry only an "Educated" guess based on the acronym and other similar badges,could be Company instead of Corps,these units have a habit of surprising us with unexpected variants...........??

Sorry cant be more positive

R

Thanks (doubly so for the quick responses!), must be something like that - it is catalogued as 'First Aid Nursing Ambulance Corps', but cannot find a reference anywhere.

Richard

Hi Richard

This was the The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps) which was created in 1907, often called the FANY Corps, hence the FANYC. Take a look at their website, http://www.fany.org.uk which gives a lot of further details.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think now that the jacket was probably worn by a sub-unit of the FANYC, but am still uncertain as to why it is FANAC and not FANYC. Asking around, the concensus is that it probably stands for First Aid Nursing Abulance Corps: an auxiliary ambulance corps was officially recognised in 1927, but probably existed in 1918 (at least I hope so - I ended up buying the tunic!)

Richard