Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

48th Birmingham Territorial Army Division

Guest knitonelondon

Guest knitonelondon

Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for some pointers. My great grandfather, Bernard Reeves, was called up in the spring of 1916, apparently to the 48th Birmingham Territorial Army Division, and fought in the Battles of the Somme. He was medically discharged at the end of 1916 after being gassed and eventually died in the flue epidemic, in 1919 at the age of 33.

I believe that the TA division he joined became known as the 48th South Midlands Division, but I have no idea whether he was infantry, in the ambulance brigade or anything else.

Does anyone have any ideas or any information? I don't have any service number or anything similar, or even a photo of him at this point in time.

I would be very grateful for your help!

Thanks

K

K,take your pick,all bernard reeves who served.

pte 69519 tank corps

011021 AOC pte

M/320314 ASC pte

TF/854 and TF/265228 kent cyclists pte

3/5767 dorset regt L/sgt

L/102040 east surrey regt pte

53283 shropshire light inf pte

bernard

you are now down to 6 names,good luck

K

The 48th (South Midland) Division of the Territorial Force (not TA, that's a post Great War term) is described in detail on this page: http://www.1914-1918.net/48div.htm

Of the candidates listed above, I think the only feasible one is the man in the Army Service Corps. None of the other regiments fit with the 48th Division.

However there was also a soldier named only as B. Reeves, who served as Pte 2522 with the Royal Warwicks. Now that is a much better fit.

Guest knitonelondon

Thank you to both of you for replying, in particular Chris, who I think may have hit the nail on the head (fingers crossed)!

I'll have a rootle around....