Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Repairs in the Field

Nathan Greenfield

Does anyone know how long it would take to repair a jammed Colt machine-gun in the field.

I have an interview with a Canadian at 2nd Ypres who tells of laying out a sheet and then disassembling the jammed gun. Unfortunately, he does not say how long taking it apart and putting it back together would take.

Cheers,

Nathan

I strongly recommend that you get two books, "The Emma Gees", and "A Rifleman Went to War". Both by a fellow named McBride, and both currently in print. McBride was an American in the CEF, and was very familiar with the Colt 1895/1914. He had prior gunsmithing experience, and claimed he could make nearly every internal part for them. Extractors were a problem, and required some disassebly to replace, but he makes it sound fairly simple.

Here is an excerpt from a recently discovered set of interviews by Brid.-General Raymond Bruitinel which deals with the US-made Colt machine guns. The Canadians, with the exception of the PPCLI, were only able to aquire the Colt machine guns in August 1914. They later converted to the Vickers machine gun in 1916.

Under Brutinel, the training was detailed and documented. I recall my late Grandfather commented about all the men having to disassemble and re-assemble their Vickers guns while blind-folded.

Borden Battery

Tape 4: Hand Book of the Colt Machine Gun

The Machine Gun Brigade being already in possession of its Colt Guns, was detailed to give special short Courses in mechanical training to the would-be Machine Gunners of the Infantry Battalions.

A Hand Book of the Colt Machine Gun was quickly put together, dealing with the essentials such as taking the guns apart, cleaning, repairing and remounting them, the Gunner being blindfolded or not, thus making sure that the machine guns could be maintained in action under adverse circumstances.

This mechanical training was essential and it was soon mastered by all concerned.

Moral training was very brief but to the point:

It was explained that the Infantry, being the only element able under all battle circumstances to physically take and hold a given position, it follows that every other component part of the Army is subservient to the Infantry. Consequently, all arms, services and specialities must be animated by the same purpose, i.e. to help the Infantry in every way, up to and including self sacrifice. Machine Gunners, helped by the great fire power placed in their hands readily accepted the obligation to self sacrifice.

All available records show that the essential "Credo" of Machine Gunners spirit was stoutly maintained throughout the War by all the Canadian Machine Gunners, regardless of the varying forms which the always changing necessities of battle gave to their support and cooperation.

The Machine Gun Brigade being already in possession of its Colt Guns, was detailed to give special short Courses in mechanical training to the would-be Machine Gunners of the Infantry Battalions.

A Hand Book of the Colt Machine Gun was quickly put together, dealing with the essentials such as taking the guns apart, cleaning, repairing and remounting them, the Gunner being blindfolded or not, thus making sure that the machine guns could be maintained in action under adverse circumstances.

This mechanical training was essential and it was soon mastered by all concerned.

Moral training was very brief but to the point:

It was explained that the Infantry, being the only element able under all battle circumstances to physically take and hold a given position, it follows that every other component part of the Army is subservient to the Infantry. Consequently, all arms, services and specialities must be animated by the same purpose, i.e. to help the Infantry in every way, up to and including self sacrifice. Machine Gunners, helped by the great fire power placed in their hands readily accepted the obligation to self sacrifice.

All available records show that the essential "Credo" of Machine Gunners spirit was stoutly maintained throughout the War by all the Canadian Machine Gunners, regardless of the varying forms which the always changing necessities of battle gave to their support and cooperation.

Good Evening,

I am in the process of scanning manuals that I have in my Vickers Machine Gun collection into the computer and uploading to my website (link below). Some of these contain information on the Colt as well and this will be included. There are detailed stripping sequences but not timings as far as I can see. It should give you an idea though.

Regards

Richard

I recall my late Grandfather commented about all the men having to disassemble and re-assemble their Vickers guns while blind-folded.

The more things change, the more they stay the same - how many pals remember stripping and assembling weapons in the dark at the Belgian battlecamp called Vogelsang - we had to do it in what seemed like a grave but it was only a slit trench with a lid on it.

Happy days

Stephen

Hello Richard

I am familiar with your site and would welcome any manual information you can put on your website. I am currently transcribing the war diaries and actions of the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, the Canadian Independent Force/Bruitinel's Brigade as associated CEF units which first used the Colt machine gun and then the Vickers.

Borden Battery