Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

35th Bn Machine Gun Brigade

Hywyn

A family friends uncle died in WW1

I positively identified him on Pte J J Hughes 35th Machine Gun Corps died 24/4/1918, buried Varennes Military Cemtery.

I'm hoping a Pal can provide his SDGW details ie KIA etc and any other unit served.

Hopefully there will be a MGC expert that can clear up a confusion for me. I've been on LLT where I found the 35th MGC. In April 1918 I see they are in No 12 Battalion hwever I cannot work out exactly who attached to or here they were fighting?

Hywyn

This him ?

Glyn

post-5500-1138981801.jpg

35th Machine Gun Company MGC was attached to 35th Brigade of 12th Division. The Brigade machine gun companies merged into the 12th Division Machine Gun Battalion MGC in mid-1918 (Just after John Hughes died, I think)

I'll check 12th Divisions history latter but I think they were around Amiens at that time having held up the German offensive at Albert in late March.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Here's where I got confused.

LLT states "35th...Formed in 12th Division , on 1 February 1916, at St Hilaire. Moved into No 12 Bn, MGC 1 March 1918."

John Hughes was killed after the move but I can't work out what Dision 12Bn was attac......oh I get it,they were still attached to the 12th Division?

Hywyn

Got it.

Originally Machine gun units were within Infantry Battalions, then moved up to Brigade level (with the number of the Brigade) and then to Divisions (again with the Divisional number)

Steve.