Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battery Gun positions

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

A relative, Gnr. William Gibb 254 Bty RGA, was killed on 21 April 1917 near Tilloy, Arras. It is reported that a Heavy Shell bit a dugout where the cook house was. His Bty was part of 48th HAG. Would each battery have it's own cook house or would the cook house be run from the HAG HQ area ?

Also, when an RA position is marked on a map, would each component part be listed, or just the general overall position ?

Thanks,

Stewart

Stewart

Cookhouses were provided at brigade level as most guns of a brigade would be in close proximity. Depending upon the composition of the brigade there may have been more than one to cater for the number of ranks at the guns. Typically each gun may have 10 men per shift so say 60 to 70 men to feed.

Depending which maps you refer to, many show brigade locations but barrage maps may show individual batteries for specific events.

Roop

:) Thank you very much for this information. It now gives me an idea what to look for. I will re-check the War Diary and see if it mentions any locations as well.

I understand that when the War diaries ended up at Kew the maps were removed and placed in a seperate WO file. Is it still possible to tell from which unit's diary the map came from ?

Thanks for your time,

Regards

Stewart.

PS very different from when I was a Gunner, we had to cook our own.

Generalising it is unusual for individual batteries and brigades to have maps. These were normally at Corp level which can be found at the NA website given time. Complete barrage maps show the dispositions very well but they are a bit pricey.

Roop

:) Hello,

Thanks for your help. I will really have to try and get down to London to the NA sometime, I've not been there for years.

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart

Which battery are you interested in, I have maps for Le Cateau and the Forest of Mormal in 1918 which show some batteries.

Roop

Hello,

It's the 254th Seige Bty, RGA at or near Tilloy, Arras in April 1917. Also the location of the 48th HAG, which 254 were a part of.

Regards,

Stewart

Sorry Stewart,

Not on my maps as it is XIII Corp map Fourth Army.

WO 153/213 Vimy: Capture of Vimy Ridge: Barrage map of Canadian Force 1917 Apr. 9

WO 153/261 Ypres: French Artillery and Barrage Maps 1917 July - Sept.

WO 153/269 Ypres: 2nd Army Barrage Maps 1917 Oct.-Nov.

WO 153/321 Battles of Le Cateau and Selle: Allied offensive, XIII Corps operations and barrage maps 1918 Oct.

WO 153/487 Second Army: Barrage maps: Battle of Messines 1917 June

WO 153/495 Second Army: Ypres, Barrage Maps 1917 Sept. Oct. Nov.

WO 153/1110 X Corps: Battle of Flanders Barrage Map 1918 Sept. 28

WO 153/494 Second Army: German Artillery dispositions and Artillery target maps 1917 Sept. Oct. Nov.

WO 153/1100 Fourth Army : Artillery dispositions 1918 26 Sept. - 4 Oct.

Looks like you are unlucky on that one. Next stop is Woolwich.

Roop