Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info on 2nd Lieutenant KIA aged 19

snailybailey

On advice from another member I am posting this in the hope that I can get more information on the following Officer:

2/LT Archibald MacNeill

1/6th (Renfrewshire) Battalion (Territorial)

Princess Louise's Agyll & Sutherland Highlanders

KIA 25/03/16 (26th according to CWGC)

Info on CWGC (quite detailed surprisingly) states:

Born Glasgow, son of Archibald Harvie MacNeill and Jessie Wright MacNeill of "Hillside", Courthill Avenue, Cathcart, Glasgow. Joined the 9th H.L.I. (Glasgow Highlanders) on the 5th September 1914 as a Private. Went to France in January 1915. Wounded at La Bassée on 13th March 1915.

I have usual details from SWDGW and CWGC but am desperately seeking a photograph of him...any clues where I can try? or does any member out there have any info on him?

Here's hoping!

Cheers

Glyn

I have usual details from SWDGW and CWGC but am desperately seeking a photograph of him...any clues where I can try? or does any member out there have any info on him?

If no relatives are at hand, I'd try his School Roll of Honour (if there is one)... The most usual tip is checking local newspapers around the date of his death.

I'd say being an officer you have good chances of finding a picture.

Gloria

1/6th A&S were Coates Fibres supported. There may be something in the relevant papers in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

Details

Surname MacNEILL

Firstname Archibald

Service Number

Date Death 25/03/1916

Decoration

Place of birth

Other 6th Bn. (T.).

SNWM roll THE ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

Rank 2/Lt

Theatre of death Unknown

Aye

Malcolm

Glyn

Lt MacNeill's biography is in - The High School of Glagow Roll of Honour published 1921 and I attach the details with this post.

Hope this will be of help.

Regards

Ian

Glyn

Looked through De Ruvigny's no mention I'm afraid.

All the best

Dave

Cheers for looking Dave, and forgive my ignorance but what is 'De Ruvigney's'??

Glyn

Glyn

Lt MacNeill's biography is in - The High School of Glagow Roll of Honour published 1921 and I attach the details with this post.

Hope this will be of help.

Regards

Ian

Ian, can't thank you enough, this is more than I expected. Where did you actually get this from? Do you have a copy of the book? If so can be really cheeky , any chance you could PM me with a scan of just the photo maybe a bit bigger? Also the text looks like it's scanned from two different parts (maybe over two pages), is this the complete entry for my man?

Yours in anticipation!

Glyn

1/6th A&S were Coates Fibres supported. There may be something in the relevant papers in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

Details

Surname MacNEILL

Firstname Archibald

Service Number

Date Death 25/03/1916

Decoration

Place of birth

Other 6th Bn. (T.).

SNWM roll THE ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

Rank 2/Lt

Theatre of death Unknown

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Thanks for the info, but I have no idea what you mean by '1/6th A&S were Coates Fibres supported.' Can you eplain??

Cheers

Glyn