Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pitt, Harold R Corporal

daveuk6

Hi could anyone help me with any info on this man and were his units would have been

any help would be soo cool

Description Medal card of Pitt, Harold R

Corps Regiment No Rank

Middlesex Regiment265671Corporal

Middlesex Regiment1941Corporal

Royal Engineers574380Corporal

a big thank you :D

Dave

Doc2.doc

Hi Dave,

I would guess that he was in a territorial battalion of the Middlesex Regiment...given his six digit number. My guess is that he probably first served with the number 1941 before being renumbered 265671. Each territorial battalion initially had their own series of numbers (from 1 onwards for example) but the men were renumbered to 6 digit numbers sometime 1917 and blocks of numbers assigned to each regiment. After that time he appears to have transferred to the Royal Engineers. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal only (not a star as well)...meaning he commenced active service after the 01/01/1916. His medals were adminstered by the Royal Engineers, so there would most likely be no indication of his battalion in the Middlesex Regiment. You may get some idea by having someone search Soldiers Died in the Great War and seeing what battalion/s men with numbers around the 265??? number range were from. Mine seems to be on the blink at the moment. If you are able to ascertain a battalion from here you should be able to trace which actions it was involved in. One of the resident RE experts may be able to help regarding whether his RE number is similarly traceable.

Rgds

Tim