Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW

mmm45

Hi

Im reading Magnus West Riding Territorials ITGW at present.My interest is 1/4 West Ridings as it was my local TF Bn in Cleckheaton West Yorks.Can someone please look on SDGW and let me know how many casualties were recorded for the town on 3rd Sept 1916 this was obviously a bad day for West Yorks.

Secondly to this can someone enlighten me to the term Lachrymatory Shells?

"5th July,Aveluy Wood was shelled for the first time,HE,shrapnel and lachrymatory shells were employed"

From p95 same book.

Thanks very much for any help.

Ady :D

Lachrymatory shells were forms of tear gas.

Not unusual for a bombardment to begin with tear gas followed by chlorine or phosgene. Coughing and sputtering with streaming eyes from the tear gas made it difficult to keep a gas mask on so the idea was to have the enemy take off their gas masks due to the tear gas and inhale the more deadly gases with inevitable results. Nasty.

1st 4th Battalion, 147 deaths. I don’t know how many of these were from Cleckheaton.

You should read this book if you have not already done so:

Captain P.G.Bales, "The History of the 1st 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, 1914 - 19."

Huddersfield Library have a copy so it can be acquired through the inter-library loan service if they don’t have one locally. He devotes a chapter to the 3rd September.

The tread named below has some information and a map, if you find out anything not mentioned in the thread I would be interested to hear about it.

Posting a link seems to to have become impossible, but if you copy this into search you should find it.

3rd September 1916

Tony.

Casualties for Cleckheaton on 3rd sept 1916.

4 Born and Enlisted there.

Glyn

post-5500-1138910784.jpg

Forum contributors have done a lot of work on 3rd Sept. (especially homfirthtony) - much of it based on primary docs. and much of it previously unexamined, well worth a look.

1st 4th Battalion, 147 deaths. I don’t know how many of these were from Cleckheaton.

You should read this book if you have not already done so:

Captain P.G.Bales, "The History of the 1st 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, 1914 - 19."

Huddersfield Library have a copy so it can be acquired through the inter-library loan service if they don’t have one locally. He devotes a chapter to the 3rd September.

The tread named below has some information and a map, if you find out anything not mentioned in the thread I would be interested to hear about it.

Posting a link seems to to have become impossible, but if you copy this into search you should find it.

3rd September 1916

Tony.

Hi Tony Thanks for your help

Have just ordered Bales 1/4 Btn History on Amazon

Could you clarify on a map the Start lines for the 4th and 5th Battn on 3rd Sept.

Thanks

Ady

The map is one of many from the History of the 1st 4th, obviously they give more detailed information for the 1st 4th than the 1st 5th but it is usually possible to work out where both of them are.

In this case the dotted lines are the Mill Road and the jumping off trenches were by the road. The East Koyli sap comes out just in front of the Pope’s Nose. The 1st 5th Battalion attacked the Pope’s Nose and the 1st 4th attacked the trenches to their right.

The West Yorkshires were also attacking over on their left.

Tony.