Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th.Northants Regt.

Stebie9173

The answer is Yes.

What was the question...? :D

There are at least four members with an interest.

HarryBetts and myself with a specific interest.

Kate Wills and Simon Bull have an overarcing Northamptonshire Regiment interest as well.

There are several sources available:

Four VCs in Forty Months (Small Press, Out of Print)

The Glorious Sixth (Small Press, Out of Print)

54th Brigade History (Naval & Military Press reprint available)

18th Division History (N&M Press reprint available)

Northamptonshire and the Great War (Published by the Northampton Independent Newspaper, OOP, rare)

Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918. (N&M Press - concentrates on 1st & 2nd battalions but 6th mentioned)

War Diary at National Archives (WO95/2044)

The 6th battalion was the second Northamptonshire Regiment New Army battalion to be raised after the outbreak of war. It was raised at Northampton in September 1914 as part of K2. After training at Colchester and Codford, Wiltshire, the battalion went to France with 54th Brigade of 18th Division on 25th July 1915. Through 1915 and early 1916 it was in the line near Fricourt, Mametz and Carnoy on the Somme (a "quiet sector" apart from mining at that point). It took part in the 1st Day of the Somme as support battalion, was the assault battalion at Trones Wood on 14th July 1916, was in Support again at Thiepval on 26th September 1916. In 1917, the battalion took heavy casualties at Boom Ravine on 17th February 1917, took part in the advance to the Hindenburg line in early 1917, then was at Ypres for the rest of 1917. On 21st March 1918, the battalion was one of the first reinforcements into the line as the German Spring Offensive advanced and was involved in the battle of Amiens. It also took part in the final advance through August to October 1918. It was taken out of the line at the end of October and finished the war in reserve.

Steve.

Whats this - telepathy too Steveo? You have REALLY excelled yourself this time mate :lol::blink:

Sorry about that but it looks like my question didn,t get posted for some reason or other. Probably an error on my part. Anyway, thanks for the swift response. I really love this site.

My grandfather started his Army service with the RE. Inland WaterwaysTransport Corps on 7/11/16 and was posted to the 6th. Northants on 14/8/17. They went to France on 15/8/17.

I do have his burnt service records and in them it states that he had a GS wound,left leg in 3.18 and a BW arm R (sev) on 8.18

He qualified for the Silver War Badge.

My question was, where was the Battalion serving at the times when he received his wounds.

Regards, Roy

Early March 1918 the 6th were @ Caillouel ensconced in Billets,for a bit of retraining,bathing & Musketry practice,& following a break in the good weather,resulting in heavy snow,An Attack practice was postponed,being replaced by a Luverly route march;Kit inspection,respirator drill & more musketry practice!

following this "Respite" the Battalion marched for Jussy on 10th March,where they where {minus "D" Company} employed in building a Strong point,& improving & cleaning the Camp.

Around the 18th/19th @ Ly Fontaine,having taken over the Front Line they were following Orders to withdraw subject to heavy Enemy opposition;March 21st was the opening day of the German offensive,with odds of 4 to 1,Through the latter days of March 1918,the 6th were engaged @ St.Quentin Canal, Hangard Wood,Babouef,& Bois de Frieres,in that region.{@ the end of the period;on their return to Caillouel,the 6th were reduced to around 6 Officers & 200 O/Rs.

In August 1918,following the halt of the German Steam roller advance,due in no small part to heavy thunderstorms;which turned the landscape into a quagmire of slime & mud,the 6th were relieved by the 2nd Bedfordshire Regt;& dropped back into the Support line @ Sailly le Sec;where they where employed on Fatigue duties in support of the Front Line,in the form of Carrying parties,A welcome break came on the 5th,with By company Bathing in the R.Somme!The 6th August saw a recommencement of enemy artillery activity with heavy Barrages,over the front line & support trenches,around the Bray Corbiere Road,The 9th saw them around the Mericourt~Vaux road area,then out of the line on the 10th @ Henecourt Wood,from where they took over the line from the London Irish west of Albert.,with patrols into Albert.they were relieved on the 18th by the 7th RW Surreys,& returned to Henecourt for a "wash & Brush up" & re~organisation.

On the 21st the Battalion was employed in making Railway Cutting accessible by Limbers,with "A" Company attempting to force a pasage over the Ancre @ 22.00 Hrs;being defeated by very heavy MG fire,however the folowing day the whole Battalion,save "C" Company effected the crossing& shortly after 17.15 hrs began a successful attack 3000 Yds Easyt of the R.Ancre,taking over 500 Prisoners,the following days were spent re~inforcing their position & advancing,before taking a breather @ Fricourt.then continuing the advance,through to Trones Wood{again} Combles & Priez Farm,sustaining many casualties from continued Sniping & MG fire,Casualties from this period were around 7 Officers & over 280 ORs,& several 6th Bn Men taken Prisoner.

I would recommend Peter Jackson's "The Glorious Sixth"{Privately published 1975}with is a day to day account of the 6th Activities,if you can access a copy via your local library{or through the BL}

Harry, what a superb insight into the actions that my grandfather was involved in.It puts it into perspective what those men went through. we can,t begin to imagine what it was like!

I will definately read "The Glorious Sixth"

Many thanks

Roy

I have the war diary 21st to 25th March 1918 if you woudl like it. email me if so, as you cant include attachments on mails from the site.

21st march the brigade were in divisional reserve as harry said. Took some casualties from the extreme artillery fire but no direct contact. 1am 22nd to 1pm 23rd March they held the crozat canal line between Jussy & Mennessis, south of St Quentin. Held it all day until the brigades either side were overrun & they were forced to fight their way back & our of encirclement.

The 6th started in support in the Haute Tombelle wood, behind the RF's & Bedfords but had to join the line between them after strong attacks won the bridges that couldnt be blown due to lack of explosives.

The 54th Brigade took casualties in Op Michael to say the least. The 7th Beds & 6th Northants were left with 200 men each by the evening of the 23rd & the 11th RF's could only muster 26 (twenty six).

Walked the ground they held 3 weeks ago around the crozat canal as my GG was killed in the bedfords on the 23rd. Lt Herring (from memory) of the 6th won a VC holding his overrun Lewis Gun post together at La Montagne Bridge 22nd & 23rd. Had a helluva scrap, completely surrounded, yet refused to let it go until the Northants & bedfords counter attacked & threw the Germans back over the canal.

Where the bridge was is nothing but a pile of stones now & a lock is 50 yards further up but you can still see what happened & how it developed by standing there with trench maps in hand!!

Hi Steve and thanks for the concise information. I would indeed like to see the war diary that you have.

My email is:- roygibson2@btopenworld.com

Kind regards

Roy