Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private William John Smith

Guest Ever interested

Guest Ever interested

Hi, I just wondered if anyone could tell me how long William would have sailed for.

In his diary he has written "sailed from England 29th June 1915" he was in the 8th Bn, RWF, (weston) Division. He joined the army as a volunteer, K1, In 1914, he trained for around 10 months. So I wondered when he could have arrived in Turkey. He was shot by a sniper on the 24th Aug 1915. I'm curious to trace his steps in Gallipoli and wondered how long he was there for before his death.

Hope someone can help me, so far this site has been invaluble.

Thank you

Lesley. :D

The 8/RWF reached Cape Helles 16th July and relieved the 6/South Lancs in front line trenches next day.

By 24th August the 8/RWF were at the Apex near Chunuk Bair - this would have been fighting with the NZ troops for the Chunuk Bair summit. On the 24th Aug they were actually relieved by 8/Cheshires and fell back to Cheshire Ridge. My source is Westlake's Britsh Rgts at Gallipoli.

If you get to Gallipoli - contact Eric (Plumed Goose on Forum) - his 4x4 will save you a lot of walking uphill.

Guest Ever interested
The 8/RWF reached Cape Helles 16th July and relieved the 6/South Lancs in front line trenches next day.

By 24th August the 8/RWF were at the Apex near Chunuk Bair - this would have been fighting with the NZ troops for the Chunuk Bair summit. On the 24th Aug they were actually relieved by 8/Cheshires and fell back to Cheshire Ridge. My source is Westlake's Britsh Rgts at Gallipoli.

If you get to Gallipoli - contact Eric (Plumed Goose on Forum) - his 4x4 will save you a lot of walking uphill.

Thank you for your reply. I would love to go to Gallipoli to see Williams grave. I will keep Plumed Goose in mind.

Once again thankyou.

Lesley. :D

Lesley

I see the War Graves Commission records his date of death as 23 August.

John

Just to confirm, Westlake indicates the 8/RWF were on The Apex from 20 Aug until relieved by 8/Cheshires on 24 Aug.